Yoshioka No Suke Menuki

Ron STL

Need  clarification on what is written about the gold technique used on these "frog" menuki. It is circled as #3 on my notes on the paper copy. Earlier, I was told it was kin sue (mon) but honestly, I can not find a clear definition of that. I'd like to have a full reading of this #3 term and just what it means. The applied gold finish "resembles" what one sees on Ezo menuki but of course it's not the same. Thanks Ron STL

post-1311-0-93933400-1529950798_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-09110700-1529950813_thumb.jpg

The term is suri-hegashi. From my Encyclopedia:

suri-hegashi (摺り剥がし) – Areas on sword fittings where the iroe coloring shows abrasion and exposes the underlying metal. Usually along protruding, e.g. takabori motif elements. Fittings with such areas have a special taste as they suggest age and wear. The term suri-hegashi is primarily used to refer to decorations where the abrasions were artificially applied. Areas which were actually abraded by use and over time are namely referred to as suri-heri (摺り減り).

• Like 4

Thanks Markus, I'm aware of what you described but do not recall ever hearing or reading the name of this "artificially worn" treatment before. So this is very helpful and I'll have to make note of it so as to recognize it the next time that technique comes along. Again, my thanks for explaining this to me. Ron STL

You are welcome Ron. Was just quoting from my book, i.e. I thought I might better add the quote rather than just translating the term for those who haven't heard of that kind of ornamentation. Cheers, Markus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..