• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BillT

BillT

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:05 AM

I recently acquired an unpapered wakizashi which is signed Soshu junin Hiromitsu, with what appears to be a date on the other side.  I have tried to translate it without success.

These are the best images of rather the corroded kanji I could produce. I have included one of the mei and a couple of the whole sword.   I do not have the smarts to produce high quality images, but I hope there is enough there. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bill Taylor

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8630.jpg
  • IMG_8632.jpg
  • IMG_8633.jpg
  • IMG_8638.jpg
  • IMG_8641.jpg

#2 Shugyosha

Shugyosha

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationJust beyond the edge

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

Hi Bill,

With the second character of the Nengo period eliminated by the second mekugi ana, a bit of detective work is necessary.

The first character of the Nengo is a variation on 正. Markus Sesko lists a smith signing Soshu Ju Hiromitsu (3rd generation) working in 正長 (Shōchō), 1428-1429.

So we have 正長日 - Shōchō, ni nen, ni gatsu, hi. A day in February in the second year of Shōchō.

There are other Nengo periods that begin with this character but they are either too early or too late for any of the Soshu smiths signing this way, so I'm confident that this is a decent bet.

Best,

John

• Brian and uwe like this
John Johnson

#3 BillT

BillT

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:35 AM

Hi John

Thanks very much.  It seems to have the ageing attributes of a blade that old and is still attractive despite the signs of ageing and many polishes, so probably worth submitting to shinsa sometime.

Regards

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq