Koto Tanto

dig1982

I feel like this is a lesson of want vs. reality. I'm not certain what could be learned from a koto tanto that cost less than $1,000. You're likely to, at best, receive a sword that is tired, flawed, out of polish, etc. I think - but what the hell do I know? - that there are variables here that need to be brought into control. If you want a tanto to actually learn something from and potentially have something that you'll be able to move on, you need to ease your age requirements. If your age requirements are fixed, then you need to ease your budget requirements. If both are fixed (budget and age), prepare yourself for a long wait - even in a buyers market.

I understand what you told Joe. You are right. I like shinshinto blade and i spend any money to buy them. I want a koto tanto to have something to study ( i don't mind if it is out of polish or have a little pit on it) and i don't really want to move on. I know my wish is hard to do but i'm trying. Thanks

Like Joe said for a Koto tanto $1000 is very low, most in any semblance of polish that you could actually study would be $1500 minimum for a mediocre sue-seki etc. Maybe a Wakizashi? You can get a lot more for your money, Either that or save up a little more?

My dear Diego,

Unless you are a qualified Japanese trained polisher, we do not indulge on NMB in amateur polishing. It is not because you have polish it yourself that you'll be able to learn something from it. If you have never seen a Japanese polisher worshop, visit one. You'll see scores of stones, each of them with a distinct utility depending on the sword, the school, the era.... I doubt that you have this equipment at home and are qualified to use them. there is polish and polish....

Ahahah i don't like the know-all...i'mnot going to polish by myself but a friend of mine. It's a italian professional togishi...in Italy we have a couple. Sorry if in your country you don't have. And before judging anything you must know this. On the forum there is a work of him that i posted.

Diego

I dont think anyone was suggesting you were stupid. But as you are around the board more you will often (too often) see posts of people who have either tried polishing themselves or had a cheap polish carried out by a non trained person. This tends to make people a little nervous when individuals, particularly relatively new ones,say they will polish the blade.

Knowing Jean very well I know he did not wissh to upset you. but none the less the point he makes is perfectly valid.

Ok no problem Jean sorry if i become angry very fast but i hate amatuer polishing too. I will never ever do something that can destroy a piece of art and hostory. And i know that is near to impossible to have a decent koto tanto for 1000$ i can reach maybe 1500$...because i'm saving for a sukekane tanto, i like shinshinto blade. But i'm trying to have some sword of different period to study. If there is something outside maybe can arrive to me. Dream don't cost anything

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..