Odd 1945 Pattern NCO

Ratill

I saw this blade at a small local auction. The blade, habaki, tsuba, menuki, and kabuto-gane all looked correct for the type. The blade catch also appeared to be correct (but very worn). The tsuka didn't have the characteristic diamond pattern but rather a number of thin grooves encircling it and it was wrapped in (what appeared to my untrained eye) a traditional manner. The wrap was a faded red. It looked old but maybe in too good shape to be 67 years old. The saya was yellow wood that at one time had been painted, lacquered or stained red. The red was very faded and mostly gone. The 1 inch steel chape appeared to be a cut down version of the 1945 pattern and the drag also appeared to have been ground down. The 2-3 inch saya throat also appeared to have been taken from a 1945 pattern but the little screw, instead of being up near the top of the saya, was by the suspension ring. Has anyone seen these type of modifications or is this just a dog's breakfast cobbled together from original parts.

Sincerely,

R Tillman

Check in Jim Dawsons 'Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945' Cyclopedia Edition.

Try Chapter 16 Late War Army Swords for NCO's. You'll find it is the very last Variant of NCO sword listed.

How much was the asking price?

Ernst

Thanks for the reply. If I ever see one again, I'll know what I'm looking at. The reserve was $150 and the estimated price was $300-$500. I don't know what it realized or even if it sold. I'll call them and see if they will tell me. If they do, I'll let you know.

Sincerely,

R Tillman

Thanks for that,

Depending on the condition, it may have been a very good buy at that price.

Strangely enough in these economic times, militaria items are holding their value,and in some case creeping up.

Ernst

Strangely enough in these economic times, militaria items are holding their value,and in some case creeping up.

Don't I know it. Although I have to say that prices have pulled back a good bit from the pre housing bubble unrealistic levels. The blade in question had a few edge nicks and appeared to have been subjected to abrasive cleaning with a rather coarse medium but I think the cleaning scratches could be polished out. There was no pitting.

Sincerely,

R Tillman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..