Unusual Gunto

Max C

I picked up this gunto recently, what I thought at first to be an older blade in gunto mount, turned out to be a rather well made gunto with a bohi. It was made by Kiyonobu (thanks to Chris Bowen) in 1942 and has a Seki stamp. Now the hamon seems real water quenched to me (feel free to correct) but I cannot see any clear hada with all the scratches and rust. The blade is also very light and very well balanced, unlike most showato I have handled. Now if this is indeed a showato, I have never seen any stamped gunto with a bohi and was wondering if there are other known examples?

Another thing I noticed on this sword was the tassel that came with it. It seemed to be a classic early NCO leather tassel, and I thought it could have been misplaced on this sword. But then, the barrel is equipped with some kind of a black leather ring closed by a small brass insigna. I have never seen such an accessory on NCO tassels, what would this be indicative of?

Here are some pictures: http://imageshack.us/g/80/028of.jpg/

Hi Ernst,

I looked closer and it rather seems that the insignia is silver, not brass, whatever that may change. The barrel is detached in the front but it is very solid, but you are right that might be why it was added, although it would have been simple to simply reattach it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..