a possible Nihonto

Jeimuzu

Well guys Ive recently got back into the sword (had minor setbacks in life lol). Since Im going to the Army this summer Ive decided I wanted to get a Nihonto. What I plan on getting is this listed:

Blade length: 2.45 shaku W/ Bohi

Hamon: Choji

Sori: 1.5

Nakago length: 10in

Tsuka Length: 11in

Tsuka-ito: Black Silk

Samegawa: Black

Habaki: Yoji

Saya: Tamenuri (Deep wine color)

Kashirae: Traditional Handachi Koshirae

Menuki: Pray Mantis

You may say this sounds like a beautiful katana and your right. This is modeled after Okita Soujiro's Katana who is my hero/favorite swordsmen of all time. He is the one who got me so interested in swords, sword arts, and the history behind the Shinsengumi. Now you may or may not know but his sword was made from Kaga Kiyomitsu. I dont even know if Kiyomitsu is still around but if they are Ill pay any price for a nihonto from that smith. To me thats the only smith I want to forge my sword. My plan is to have him sign and date it, then on the other side...have him write In honor of Okita Soujiro Fujiwara no Kaneyoshi (1842-1868). Then if there is any room, Ill have him put in the Makoto sign. I know this all sounds SO pricey but to me, it sounds like an honorable thing to do and to have something of what was like his sword....it would just be amazing. :D

sorry guys. Its been awhile since Ive been on here. Yes Im a fan of the Shinsengumi. If Kiyomitsu still is around, then that is the smith I want it done. Yes I know if a katana is made in USA its not a Nihonto or in any other country. I do want my blade made of Tamahagane.

James Dundorf

James,

You may want to google Kiyomitsu. He has been dead for 300 years.

His swords are very sought after. they usual start at around 5k, out of polish, and go through the sky.

You could have one of today's sword smiths make you a Kiyomitsu like sword, in the size you want. And still get you nakago inscriptions done on it. The cost would be about the same.

Chris Bowen could likely help you with that.

The last Kiyomitsu sword that was made was 1948 from what my sources have told me. I would think that a Kiyomitsu smith would still be around. Their name and swords are high value when it comes to nihonto's. To think that a well known name just up and quit would be :crazy: . If anything Yes I would just get it done but not sure on which swordsmith IF there is no Kiyomitsu smiths around anymore.

James Dundorf

The last Kiyomitsu sword that was made was 1948 from what my sources have told me. I would think that a Kiyomitsu smith would still be around. Their name and swords are high value when it comes to nihonto's. To think that a well known name just up and quit would be :crazy: . If anything Yes I would just get it done but not sure on which swordsmith IF there is no Kiyomitsu smiths around anymore.

James Dundorf

Considering the making of swords was outlawed by the occupational forces in 1945 after Japan's defeat, I would think it very unlikely that any swords were made in 1948....

There are no longer any members of the Kiyomitsu line of smiths working, nor have there been for quite a looooong time....

There are around 100 or so licensed smiths in Japan currently. I have ordered many blades from modern smiths and would be happy to help you should you wish to pursue this....simply pm me....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..