Japan Art Expo in Utrecht, June 2024

Is anyone else going the 3rd JAE in Utrecht this June? Has anyone attended the previous Expo's and if you did were the lectures and demonstrations informative? Were the presentations in English? Were the swords and fittings offered by the exhibitors high quality and how were the prices? How was special Friday event for 3 day ticket holders? I'm a novice collector looking make my first nihonto purchases so looking for some insight on what to expect as an attendee at the show.

HB,

please give us your first name plus an initial to address you politely (it is a rule here).

We had some reports on former Utrecht events here in the NMB which might help you. In my memory, the lectures and demonstrations (in English) were interesting, depending on where your collecting focus is. 

The prices were 'normal', I think, for what I was looking at. Buying there is of course a good opportunity and saves you from the hassle of customs and shipping. Can't help you with that special Friday event.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will strongly recommend going. I went to both 2018 and 2023 events, unfortunately I have to skip this one as I will be in Japan.

On both years I enjoyed lectures very much, I think on both years I tried to listen to all of them. They are very nice however they can be quite specific on certain subjects. For me the best part of the events is meeting the people around Europe. It is fun to meet some NMB members, NBTHK-EB members, people that I know from other sword related stuff. Previous years have been excellent on that front, lots of familiar faces.

On 2018 event I enjoyed the joint effort of sword clubs/collectors as there was an amazing study section of very high level swords & fittings. Unfortunately that wasn't present in 2023. On both previous events there have been for sale swords and fittings etc. from affordable to very expensive. In general I didn't really see cheap low quality stuff being offered either year. The affordable items were also of quality, so I feel that it would be "safe" to purchase as first time buyer. Of course depending on what you are looking for there can be a variety of offerings. I have not bought anything from the events.

The special Friday event might be a new one? I think the show last year was 2 days and 2018 special event was only for exhibitors etc. if I remember correctly.

As you are from Germany there will be (most likely) lots of German guys with very high level of knowledge attending, so I hope you will meet some of them and maybe get to discuss some sword stuff.

• Like 4

I agree with Jussi's words, it's always an excellent opportunity to study, as well as for "hassle-free" purchases after live viewing, and of course to meet experts and friends.
Unfortunately I too will not be able to be present this year for work reasons, but the our Italian association for the Japanese sword I.N.T.K. will hold a lecture on Saturday.

This is a report from the previous edition: http://www.intk-toke...an-art-expo-2023-nl/