Nagoya 'Touken World' Museum

Token (Eastern Construction 東建コーポレーション Corporation)in Nagoya have created a museum using world-play on To-ken, for blades = 刀剣, called Touken World. 刀剣・日本刀の専門サイト「刀剣ワールド」 (touken-world.jp)

This website seems to have been designed to come up with searches from almost any angle.

Originally they bought up Nihonto blades from everywhere, and then suits of armo(u)r, with seemingly very deep pockets, for a pretty comprehensive collection, but after some time they decided to devote an extra floor to the history of Japanese guns. A little birdie whispers that it will be the largest number on display in Japan, featuring around 350 old Japanese guns of all types.

After several postponements, the museum is now supposed to open officially on 1st May 2024.

Anyway, just a heads-up.

PS I suspect, but have no proof yet, that a couple of my own guns may have eventually ended up there... something to look out for! :)

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Token (Eastern Construction 東建コーポレーション Corporation)in Nagoya have created a museum using world-play on To-ken, for blades = 刀剣, called Touken World. 刀剣・日本刀の専門サイト「刀剣ワールド」 (touken-world.jp)

This website seems to have been designed to come up with searches from almost any angle.

Originally they bought up Nihonto blades from everywhere, and then suits of armo(u)r, with seemingly very deep pockets, for a pretty comprehensive collection, but after some time they decided to devote an extra floor to the history of Japanese guns. A little birdie whispers that it will be the largest number on display in Japan, featuring around 350 old Japanese guns of all types.

After several postponements, the museum is now supposed to open officially on 1st May 2024.

Anyway, just a heads-up.

PS I suspect, but have no proof yet, that a couple of my own guns may have eventually ended up there... something to look out for! :)

Thanks Piers. 

I will  not hold too much hope regarding the timeline. They promised an opening last autumn. After 2-3 delays. 

Informally, they have been showing people around the museum and holding private viewings.

Do you know what is delaying the public opening - is it some health & safety or some other regulations in relation to the exhibits (eg how Kokuho / JuBun etc are shown) 

• Like 1

Michael, no I do not know the reasons behind these delays, except that the committee have changed their minds several times on how it should look and what it should contain. The guns floor for example is a recent large addition, and they debated whether the displays should have English captions or not, for example. First yes, then no, then yes again.

Your Kokuho/Jubun display method idea seems entirely possible too.

There does seem to be some pressure building up now for them to stick to this 1st May opening date though. Fingers crossed.

(None of the above is official, just scraps of rumours that I have picked up here and there.)