Help identifying Japanese WW2 Banner

AlphaRaider

Hello everyone,

This is a beautiful banner I recently picked up from a gentleman in Colorado, while at a Utah gunshow.

It was found in the private home of a family in Toyama Prefecture and that it was used by the 7th Infantry and it has some kind of information about a special attack Force. I don't have the translation on it unfortunately. He told me that it was a parade/victory banner that was flown as soldiers marched down the street.

Can anyone help me decipher what it says? It's huge so I haven't got the best pictures currently.  It has seen better days, there is regrettably mutiple areas damaged, however I sure am excited to own it.

- J. Hoff 

20231114_204136.thumb.jpg.3b46f627eb1f59356c24b98331fbdfa4.jpg20231114_204208.thumb.jpg.e4521ee375db288fadee4ffc768feb6d.jpg

Congratulations

Sanō Takeshi-kun   Edit: given name could also be Ken, or Takeru, or a few other readings.

7th Infantry Regiment

The smaller writing on the bottom of the left and right banners are the names of the people who (presumably) presented the banners.

Okegawa Tarō (right)

Sakai -rō  (left) the middle bit is missing

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

It is a banner that is written in commemoration of sending someone off to war. In this case, Takeshi SANO was being sent off to war, and his friends/colleagues created these two banners (and maybe others) for him. Its called a shussei nobori (出征幟). 

The reason we can't nail down the pronunciation of the name, is because that one kanji (健) has multiple possible pronunciations. It's kind of like the name Stephen, where it can be pronounced either Steven or Stefan, and the only way to know is if you ask the person himself (or his mother, father, etc.). You can't tell just by the spelling.

My gut feeling is that "Ken" is not a popular pronunciation for this kanji during the early 1900s, so Takeshi or Takeru feels like more plausible pronunciations, but there is no way to know for sure. Even more exotic and rarer pronunciations are also possible, but those three are the most likely, and of those three my guess is that Takeshi is probably the most common. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..