What kind of certificate is this?

11 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Two certificates. 

The top one is a copy of the original Japanese registration certificate for a wakizashi.

The bottom one is the official receipt for deregistering the same blade for sale abroad. The buyer’s name has been ‘whited’ out.

Thanks Piers.

Yes, I whited it out; I bought it from him (actually via an auction).
So the registration certificate is just an ownership paper? Not a certificate of what the wakizashi is / appraised / accredited to be?

I know it has an unsigned Nakago, but nothing else.

Dear Mark.

You are correct the registration certificate simply allows the sword to be legally owned in Japan and is not a paper issued by a shinsa panel.  You could always try showing some photographs here, you will probably get a spread of opinions but you never know.

All the best.

1 hour ago, Geraint said:

Dear Mark.

You are correct the registration certificate simply allows the sword to be legally owned in Japan and is not a paper issued by a shinsa panel.  You could always try showing some photographs here, you will probably get a spread of opinions but you never know.

All the best.

Thanks Geraint. They will not say much because he western buffed polished the blade. I was trying to work out from the papers if it was worth the postage to send to someone like Tony Norman (if he is still polishing). Does the registration certificate say anything about the age, etc?

I'm sure others will correct if I get this wrong but as far as I can see it describes a blade with nagasa of 52cms, sori of 1.6, single mekugi ana and mumei.  If the sword is signed then that inscription would be recorded but these are just a physical description of the blade so that it can be checked, they don't offer any opinion or assessment.

All the best.

Yes, Mark, Geraint is correct. No judgement is offered on the quality of the blade in a registration card, and it does not even note ownership. It does say 無銘 Mumei, i.e. unsigned.

The blade was legally registered with the Hyogo Prefecture Board of Education.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..