Field grade Kyu Gunto?

Bridges

I found an incredibly poorly titled ebay post with what you see here. Description reads, “Sword Bought (a long time ago) at Mont Saint-Michel in France (Un-sharpened).” I asked seller for more pics but no word. I have compared this to the field grade gunto in Dawsons book and this one lacks a mekugi and appears to have a naval scabbard but an army backstrap, and company grade shin gunto tassel? Further insight would help, seller is asking 500 USD. Is it possible to determine the authenticity with these two pictures?9339EBC6-5D10-4AE3-8933-9FE1AC7BA961.thumb.jpeg.72947f9e8a1d5591d019e8bb1ca36c31.jpeg

1FBB529A-802F-4DA7-B3D5-C3260C01346C.jpeg

• Downvote 1

That’s the side I was airing on Scott. The mismatched parts and lack of mekugi are suspect. I wonder if swords like this make it onto the market exclusively through eBay, Etsy and other online retailers as I’m only familiar with a few legitimate reproduction companies that label their swords as reproductions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..