Help identefy Gunto sword

APINorway

Here in Norway, not so eazy to ask any for help, so I try here again. I’m a newbi, sorry for so large pictures.  But can this be id’ed?

sword is very nice , blade sharp and no nics. Solid fittings and lockup. Nr on Tsuba and Seppas. 249 , thx for good help last time. 

69CAED30-FE7B-46AD-9459-66E915F60B69.thumb.jpeg.627c20e3116bd5d7462404e70a92b76e.jpeg0199EAA0-20CE-4A72-8FF0-1D7E83F9B68A.thumb.jpeg.d7051213c950d806719b056f83d8b676.jpegF7B8358D-373E-4F6B-BAAD-A13153FDD11C.thumb.jpeg.8db1fb8297eec3ea5cde49df3f8931dd.jpeg

The date is 1943.

"Kai-gunto" really refers to the fittings.  And "Showato" refers to any blade made during WWII that wasn't made in the fully traditional manner.  There were blades made for the Navy arsenals, but many smiths made blades for both army and navy.

Maybe you are asking if this blade is "Nihonto" or "Showato", if so, it's hard to say from just that one photo. (Nihonto, or some say "gendaito",  are traditionally made).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

The date is 1943.

"Kai-gunto" really refers to the fittings.  And "Showato" refers to any blade made during WWII that wasn't made in the fully traditional manner.  There were blades made for the Navy arsenals, but many smiths made blades for both army and navy.

Maybe you are asking if this blade is "Nihonto" or "Showato", if so, it's hard to say from just that one photo. (Nihonto, or some say "gendaito",  are traditionally made).

Yes, that was I ment , sorry.  Thanks again for good help. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..