Late edo heianjo copy?

Hi all,

I think I found a good teaching example for a late edo copy of a heianjo tsuba vs a muramachi/early copy. First I want to confirm my gut opinion. The auction is here: http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k112542892 .

masasige1192-img600x450-12443819962rgsf837727.jpg

The shape and design is very similar to a guard pictured in Sukashi Tsuba, Swordguards with openwork design from Kofun Period to Edo Period #60 on page 52. The shape is copied very well. What makes me think this? Well I have a tsuba that Jim Gilbert looked at and said this is a copy circa 1825. My tsuba #31

Overall the plate metal looks like it "is trying too hard" to be a older/real heianjo piece. There is too much plate "diviting", making it look overdone and has a sort of glassy look to it. This glassy look is common to many of the mass produced copies and should be considered a giveaway to its age and lack of real plate quality that the better schools posess. Also this piece is too thick for Heianjo.

mantis31.jpg

It seems to me it has that exact same plate quality, especially that glassy look. I have looked through many examples and I think this guard in my collection matches what the plate should look like much more. Tsuba #65 which hasn't been evaluated by anyone but me but the steel quality just seems to be of better quality and certainly lacks that glassy look.

mantis65.jpg

What do you guys think? The other question is do I avoid this guard, since it really isn't adding to the collection- I am a mantis slut and a poor one at that. If my initial analysis is wrong let me know!!! thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken

IMHO the top and middle tsuba are definately late-Edo shiiremono, as you point out both plates are obviously "overworked".

I also feel that bottom tsuba is a late Edo revival piece.

Dr Torigoye wrote;

"In the late-Edo period the early fashion of the Heinajo-zogan style gained great popularity. It was revived in several centres ... Kyoto, Wakamatsu, and Aizu.

The design style of later reproductions was very close to ... the early Edo age.

The student will know this late style by the more naturalistic designs, ... poor color of brass, ... young iron of plate.

In the Meiji era (1868-1911) a second period of reproduction was begun by two dealers from Aizu ... working on the docks in Yokohama.

The majority of these pieces ... were exported to the west. The majority of the brass inlay pieces seen in the west today are these export products.

Fine examples of the early Edo period Heianjo-zogan tsuba are quite rare and 90% of the brass inlay tsuba seen today are little more than 100 years old.

Happy Hunting.

Hi Ken

Found this tsuba with your favourite theme in TANOSHII SHINCHU ZOGAN TSUBA 100 TSUBA by Otani.

105 fine brass inlaid tsuba (showing both sides) mostly from the Onin, Heianjo and Yoshiro schools.

Note the "naive" style, the spacing of the inlays, (later revival pieces tend to have much more inlay), and the texture of the plate.

post-304-14196762898929_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken

Found this tsuba with your favourite theme...

Ken,

I recently found a tsuba with your favourite theme. A friend has a Kanesada katana with a mantis theme iron tsuba. Not strictly Heianjo, but as this thread seems to have worn itself out thought I'd just put it here for your benefit Old Mate. Now, I'm not a tsuba man so would appreciate comments anyone cares to make. IMHO this is a very good tsuba, noting the finely worked coloured metal inlays in the body and neck of the mantis as well as the "red rock" in the foreground. The sculpted surface of the tsuba with a barely discernible mimi has a good aesthetic feel. I apologise for the "hard" looking surface due to the flash lighting, but I had only a brief opportunity to take the pic.

Best regards,

Barry Thomas.

post-1113-14196763055293_thumb.jpg

post-1113-14196763062934_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the responses, didn't notice replies. The one thing I consistently run into is a simple lesson "its the plate stupid". Now if I can only learn what is a good plate and get opportunities to handle them. I think it is in that introduction of the Tsuba aesthetic study where the sensei talks about the plate. Would I love an example like that in the book!!!

Barry that piece reminds of a guard I saw in a book at some point. If I get time, I will try and find it, although all my books have papers hanging out of them, somehow a piece of paper falls in a page with a mantis item. There are a lot of guards with a similar design of that tsuba but what sort of sticks out in my mind is the design of the mantis which is a bit different. Even without my bias, there are some very nice guards out there done with a mantis theme. These designs are also copied on lower quality plates. So at first glance they look alot alike but with closer inspection the quality starts to stand out. The whole Nara, Mito, Aizu shoami how to differentiate would be something I would love to learn. Anyone have a Nara, Mito collection to go hands on with? I think that tsuba doesn't go well with your friends sword and he should find a different to mount on it. Since I am a nice guy I will take it off his hands.

Cheers Mates! (I love the opportunity to speak in my down under voice)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..