UNEXPECTED WEB FORUM DISCOVERY

Bazza

Ah, that's mostly from me... ;) That was after last year's San Fran show. I've been trying to get various groups I know have some interest in Japanese culture, arts and swords interested in Nihonto for a while. That was my attempt to convince those martial artists studying aikido and related arts to consider venturing to the San Francisco show. Lots of folk in Aikido also do Iaido so there is some intersection of these things.

I try to announce the shows here and there hoping to generate some interest. If for no other reason to help people educate themselves.

I must admit I often feel like Don Quixote, however. Hard to get people off their butts especially if they're intimidated. And then there are those at the shows who don't seem to have time to talk to newcomers either. Oh, well, lots of windmills out there... ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I would like to comment on this thread if I may.

I got interested in Nihonto when I inherited a sword from a friend, and it took me like a disease! My wife thought I went NUTS! I bought all the books I could find and read all I could on the numerous websites I could find. Then I found out about a sword show in Mpls. MN

"Arts and Arms of the Samurai" June 2007

Well there was no stopping me! I took vacation time, booked a room and went with wife in tow!

Talk about overwhelming!! I got back to the room after the first day and felt ill! What a fool I had been, I knew nothing! I almost packed up and went home then and there. But the voice of reason spoke up (my wife) and talked me into staying.

The next day there was a Tusba display and we were standing in the room alone when a gentleman came up and asked us what Tsuba we liked the best? It turned out that this was his collection (I wish I knew his name) We talked for a little and my wife told him how overwhelmed we had felt the day before, when he told us about his first show. His description of the first night after the show, well I thought he was in the room with us that night it was so similar!! If anyone knows who this was please thank him for sharing that with me. Maybe there was hope! I have since acquired four more Nihonto and am enjoying it more than ever!

So, I just want to thank all those like Keith and the others that take time to share there hard earned knowledge and experiences with Newbe's like me!

Thank You,

JohnA

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..