Help with Sukashi tsuba

Mantis dude

Hi all,

Another one I need help kantai. It is a nice dark iron color. 6mmX 78×77mm . Possibly Shoami? another guess maybe toso myochin? Age guesses? Seems decent. Any other guesses or info for it? Do these look like bones to you guys on the rim? Thanks.

Ken

mantis66.jpg

mantis66back.jpg

mantis66side.jpg

mantis66side1.jpg

Hey John,

I appreciate your thoughts (right or wrong). I wish I was better with color and perhaps could say more about it although, I think the picture isnt too far off. I want to say it has a purplish look. It seems to be a heavy guard. I want to go koshoami but once again that "it is better than it is mentality" takes over. I have a shoami sukashi papered piece and this steel seems much darker in color and better all around. There is something about opening up a tsuba that has just arrived and it seems some of the better pieces just have a better feel to them. I just get that impression. I will have to just bring it to a person live one day. Either way, it is an unique piece and nice addition to my collection. I have been really lucky these past few months and have added some good pieces overall, maybe one day I will actually be able afford them! Thanks again all the best.

Lately I had reread Sasano's comments on surface patina of iron tsuba. He talked about using firing techniques to enhance the formation of magnetite, the oxide that is responsible for the black colour that can give bluish or purplish highlights, depending on it's crystalline structure that reflects light in specific ways (that's my bit, the colour source). He also mentions the use of acetic acid (vinegar) as a technique used during the Edo period, although he abjures it. I wonder if the firing method might be responsible for the glassy look you mentioned. Too, I have tsuba that seem more dense than similarly sized tsuba (heavier) and wonder if this might indicate a more refined plate of tamagahane (better forged) or those that seem lighter are imported mill steel. You wouldn't think the relative density could be so noticeable on carbon steel, but, I'm sure we've all noticed it. There is a certain satisfaction they give that others don't provide. John

Interesting, I sent a tsuba late last year to the NBTHK that I was sure was Owari, the mimi was just like this, and the weight of the sukashi/feel of the design/look of the iron (minus tsuchime/colour (according to Ken's description) the same or similar. I thought at the time, if this does not go to Owari, I wonder if it will go Kyo something. It went to Akasaka.

My point is, that many of these guards have similar traits, and as a result, can be hard for us to pin down. The colour of the iron, the shape and work in the mimi, the balance of the design etc etc got a little mixed I find in the early to mid Edo period, as well as the earlier sukashi styles such as Ko Shoami, Owari and Kyo Sukashi.

Having said all that, I too like Shoami for this, if not Ko, then Kyo.

Just a lazy Sunday arvo thought.

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

It is funny you say that, since I went through all those schools saying "that could fit" or I saw a similar piece in a book. I have 2 definite mainline line Akasaka and a few other most likely school work and the metal didn't seem to match so I eliminated that school. I guess that is where handling hundreds of each school comes in handy? (missing that part). It did start to make me crazy, wait that looks like it too, next page wait that is also similar..lol.....Well going to enjoy my Sunday, enjoy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..