was this a deal?

I could have gotten it, but i'm on hold in the spending department right now, did i miss a deal or not? A deal the way i look at is, if you could get your money back if you sold it right away, that's a deal IMO. BTW the FUCHI-KASHIRA look a bit off to me, maybe aftermarket? My guess is, it's Gunto oil tempered and not necessarily a deal to a Nihonto collector?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190253170622&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Thank You

The blade is gunto (dated 1945); no idea why it is so straight. Looks like one of these gunto remounted in older parts (Nobuiye style tsuba, fuchi & kashira) that have been popping up recently. Some Western collectors have been doing this with WWII blades (no idea why).

I don't see this as a bargain; looks more like a tough sale to me. The militaria collectors would rather have the blade mounted in military koshirae and the Samurai sword collectors would rather have a traditional blade in the mounts or the parts by themselves.

Grey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..