Saya Liners

Charles, I once owned a katana with such a pull-out liner, although I never removed it for fear of ever getting it back in. You could see the upper edges of two very thin pieces of wood inside the koiguchi. I suspect you would have to take off the kurikata to get them out. On a similar theme, I once was taken to visit a lacquer company, the man in charge showing me a cabinet of five drawers in which were 3" lengths of wood shaped like half saya, each lacquered in a different way. They were apparently for a samurai to choose his new saya decoration. What I found amusing was that the owner told me very proudly that they had lacquered all the items for the coronation for the Emperor. This involved making a set of the things and sending it to the Imperial Palace for approval. They then made another set for the ceremony, the first set having been contaminated by being handled by mere mortals.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..