Yesterday's Wakizashi Acquisition

Nick H

Many thanks Ray.

I am a complete beginner so please forgive my ignorance. Is Yoshiuji the last name of the smith? And if so, what do we know of him or where else can I go to find out more about this Wakizahi? Originality, knowledge of the smith, period etc.

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick H

Hi Nick.

We'd all like to see more photos, meanwhile here's a link to get you going,   http://www.sho-shin.com  (Link doesn't want to work for me, copy and paste it into a browser).   Go to the Shinto arrow and the Horikawa school.

Most people agree that there were three generations though not all sources have this.  I'll dig out some more info when I have time.

All the best.

Dear Nick.

My apologies if this is obvious but the length we are interested in is from the tip to the notch on the back of the blade where the habaki rests.  If this dimension is less than 24" then the blade is a wakizashi, if greater then it is a katana.  From the proportions, as Ray says, this appears to be a wakizashi.

If you look at the mei that Ray has provided the link to you will note that Yoshitake usually signs with a narrow stroke and the downward slope to the first character is a trade mark which yours does not have.  The same inconsistencies follow throughout the signature so I am afraid that at his stage I would suggest that it is gimei.  Doesn't mean that it's not a nice sword though.

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..