Flea Market Find

Kinnan

Well, I have a rather romantic idea about objects from the past: how they have survived and come down to us, wear and tear included, all form a part of their unique individual histories. Using this sword as an example:altough I agree that the state it is in prevents from studying and appreciating it's true virtues, the fact that it has been mishandled and neglected for many years, resulting in it's present condition, being unrecognized for what it truly was, also created the possibility for me to come by it (or it to come my way) the way it did.

So I'm quite sure I'll be hanging on to it, I am indeed in no urge to make impulsive decisions.

I hope I haven't bored you all too much with my ramblings...

And now I'm off to the Tosogu subforum, hoping someone can tell me more about the tsuba.

Kind regards from someone eager to learn,

Kinnan.

• Like 3

Hello Kinnan,

Thoughts, suggestions. 

1. Restoration can be a very rewarding undertaking in itself. 

2. Affirm and consult a polisher that the kissaki can be reshaped without further issues. Perhaps, even discuss polishing a window in the sword, which would allow you, a shinsa team, or a potential buyer should you decide to resell, to view what the sword will look like restored at a fraction of the cost, and usually in a short time.  

3. Reshaping requires a polisher with excellent foundation skills. 2nd rate polisher = 2nd rate polish, often wasted money imho.

4. It would be wise to put the sword through a shinsa before proceeding. Not only will shinsa verify the mei, but also give you an evaluation that could be very helpful in deciding whether or not to go further. A shinsa may also give you the opportunity to visit a sword show, where undoubtedly your eyes will be opened.

5. There is much to learn, take your time, make informed decisions as there are many bumps and pot holes along this road to negotiate.

6. Restoration of the koshirae presents another adventure, and can be somewhat costly as well done correctly. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..