Help Undertanding Suriage Mei

Ron STL

At our sword meeting Saturday, I was curious about this nakago inscription  on a suriage katana by Higo no Kame Hata Mitsuyo. On the nakago ura it reads that the sword was suriage (shortened) by Owari Nobutaka. There is a date of Kyoho 2 (1717). The upper inscription puzzles me. I see tetsu saku koreo, but I can not understand the kanji before this. I'd appreciate a character x character reading and meaning of this please.

Mitsuyo worked in Owari around  ca.1673 so I can see Nobutaka being there to suriage the sword, but the date on the nakago seems to possibly be the date of suriage and not when the sword was forged. This is a well made sword although Mitsuyo is rated "chu jo saku" by Fujishiro. It's not my sword, but I think the nakago inscriptions are interesting and need to be fully understood. Translation and any comments, appreciated.

RON STL

post-1311-0-41089400-1483993030_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-39359500-1483993048_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-68479200-1483993067_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-73804000-1483993084_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-05156700-1483993100_thumb.jpg

Close, but I think this is 

以古鍋鐵作之

motte ko nabe tetsu saku kore

I don't know how to read as kanbun. If I take a clue from James's (and Markus's) work above, I would say Ko-nabe tetsu wo motte, kore wo tsukuru

Note the nabe used in the inscription is a variation of the kanji for nabe (鍋) in use today. 

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot... nabe means pot or frying pan. 

Very interesting and strange, too, since this is carved above the newer mekugi ana on the surface that was part of the blade before suriage. I'll see if I can find this inscription on Marcus' site. It's no wonder this stumped me! Looking around for examples of Mitsuyo's work, I found one example in Art and the Sword, Vol. 2, p.44 (article on Owari), and in Fujishiro Shintohen p.419. Later I found several examples in Shinto Taikan p.723. Another thing I found interesting, Yoshikawa calls the smith Mitsushiro whereas Fujishiro (translation) calls him Mitsuyo. Any idea why this is?

Ron STL

Both shiro and yo are viable readings for the kanji 代. In this case, I see other instances where the reading is Mitsushiro.

http://sanmei.com/contents/en-us/p2015_%E8%84%87%E6%8C%87%E3%80%80%E9%8A%98%E3%80%80%E8%82%A5%E5%BE%8C%E5%AE%88%E7%A7%A6%E5%85%89%E4%BB%A3.html

I don't know what the definitive reading is. 

Nabe is an umbrella term that means cast iron. 

Hmm, I'd have to argue against this.

Cast-iron (鋳鉄) is a different thing. Nabe refers specifically to a cooking utensil: a pot or a pan. The cooking utensil may be made out of cast-iron, but you wouldn't use 鍋 as an umbrella term for any kind of cast-iron. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..