Ezo-Esque (Ainu) Design Tosogu Engraved Katakiri-Bori Style

jamesicus

Normally I do not like to use Wikipedia as a reference, but I think the following article does a pretty good job in this case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ezo

I bought the following koshirae from a scholar and researcher of Japanese antiquities who wrote that it had been liberated from a family sode warehouse (Kura) and that the ensuite metal fittings were engraved with Ezo-esque designs of what he interpreted to be chrysanthemums. I believe it represents the type of short sword (shotô) carried by Merchants during the late Edo period. The metal fittings (tosogu) have katakiri-bori style carved engraving. I do not particularly like the appearance of the tosogu components although I realize they may possess great artistic merit in the opinion of some metalworking connoisseurs. My Nihontô collecting emphasis is on historical association rather than artistic merit (although I do appreciate beautiful blades and fittings) as I do with my flintlock firearm collecting.

0tanto25y.jpg
The hilt (tsuka) has the traditional ray skin covering (same) and the binding (ito) is dark green silk. The scabbard (saya) has a rounded tip (kojiri).

0tanto31.jpg
There is a panel of crushed egg shell lacquer on the right side of the saya.

0tanto31x.jpg
Close-up photo of a portion of the crushed egg shell lacquer panel.

This koshirae is assembled using a wooden substitute blade (tsunagi).

0tanto36.jpg
The tsuka binding is dark green silk over traditional ray skin.
The menuki are brass and depict seated relaxing sages (rakkans).

The en-suite metal fittings are brass that has attained a nice patina

0tanto34.jpg
Upper pommel (fuchi).

0tanto35.jpg
Base pommel (kashira)

0tanto37.jpg

0tanto38.jpg
The carved (katakiri-bori) brass guard (tsuba) is small oval (hamidashi) style. 

I'm afraid I can see no Ainu influence in the kata-kiri work. What it appears to me to be is merely a very poorly executed version of a fairly generic Yokoya school style peony flower.

Here's an example by Yokoya Soyo  II that shows what the flower ought to look like. This one's in the MFA Boston.

post-164-0-87667300-1469881310_thumb.jpg

I apologize for the title error -- Kodugu should read Tosogu -- Brian: please change that if you are able. Old age creeping in  I am afraid. :doh: :( .

Done, John​

Thank you John -- I apologize for not thinking that a moderator could also make the change -- such is the lot of under-appreciated message board "officers".

I'm afraid I can see no Ainu influence in the kata-kiri work. What it appears to me to be is merely a very poorly executed version of a fairly generic Yokoya school style peony flower.

Here's an example by Yokoya Soyo  II that shows what the flower ought to look like. This one's in the MFA Boston.

attachicon.gifSC44377.jpg

Thank you Ford.

I, too, see noting that looks typical of Ainu swords here. As a rather low quality late Edo period short sword I suppose this sword might have found its way to the Ainu trade, but it does not appear to have been embellished by the Ainu or to their tastes.

Peter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..