Kantei Help?

All,

I am wondering if you can provide some help, as I am finding myself out of my element. I have a yoroi doshi tanto that is signed nijimei 盛宗. A previous owner must have thought highly of it as they hired one of the top showa smiths (Horii Hideaki) to do the machi okuri. Sadly, since then the blade has been allowed to deteriorate. I have sent it off for polish as the activity and quality actually look quite good. While this may be a fools errand at this point given my pictures and the state of polish and yes I will get the polisher's opinion too (I have sent this through Kunitaro's service), but I thought I would ask you all for your insight.

I only have a handful off crappy pictures, so I'll do my best to describe it.

Nagasa: about 9"

Hamon: suguha, nioi deki, possible Ko-nie but can't really tell for sure

Hada: Masame

Nakago jiri: Haagari kurijiri

Yasurime: Kiri

There are quite a few Morimune's but I am wondering is someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

post-736-0-51698100-1468466682_thumb.jpeg

post-736-0-35440500-1468466732_thumb.jpeg

post-736-0-84624700-1468466744_thumb.jpeg

post-736-0-06349300-1468466759_thumb.png

post-736-0-90350700-1468466772_thumb.png

post-736-0-65916600-1468466823_thumb.png

Hi Joe, may be bungo morimune sue takada school.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/19523-toshihide-kakko/

Best Regards

Same sword. When I first looked at it I thought shinshinto. And the more I looked at it, I look at it, I'm starting to lean towards late koto, with a cleaned nakago. The pitting is deep on the nakago. The blade, while needing a polish, is remarkably healthy - which also made me immediately assume shinshinto. But again, I am starting to think I'm wrong.

I picked the sword up as part of a trade, mainly on a whim since I'm selling a lot of gendai and thought that diversifying may help sales. I had an individual who was going to buy it as is before I received it. The sale fell through and when I received the sword and saw the potential I immediately decided to polish it.

I know nothing about Koto, so I figured I'd reach out to get some more opinions.

• 2 months later...

I have received this back after polish.  I will try to get photos soon.  It came out pretty nice.  I asked the opinion of the polisher on when he thought the sword was made and he thought that it was Shinshinto.  This was before polish.  I have asked if the opinion changed after polish and the primary reason is because when I inspected the blade, it has what I am almost certain is utsuri.  Not something one would expect on a Shinshinto blade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..