Yahoo Auction Japan - Ko-Bizen Tomonari ?

While browsing yahoo auction website, I stumbled upon this item.

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h214327954

It is advertised as Ko-Bizen Tomonari.

One particular thing that caught my eyes is photos of the mei when it is compared with signature from a reference book. They both look very similar and yet subtle differences emerge if observations are made in detail.

Based on the mei information and photos of the actual blade itself, is this a true Ko-bizen Tomonari or another gimei ?

FYI: I'm not looking to participate in bidding for this item. I made this post only out of curiosity and want to learn from other more knowledgeable members. 

Thanks in advance.

Ferry,

Any idea of the price of a KoBizen Tomonari or a Ko Bizen tachi? 190 000¥?

Have you seen a Ko Bizen tachi and does it match this sword?

Is the mei 800 years old?

What do you think of this utsuri? I have seen exactly the same on a sword signed Ichimonji, gendai copy. This one is perhaps Shinshinto or later.

A tip: it is not even papered....

These are the question you should ask yourself upon seeing such auction, then you could have created a new topic, put the link and give your opinion. It is the best way to learn rather than asking directly other opinion.

Hi Jean,

First of all, I think I should apologize for starting this thread. I should have known better that Ko-Bizen Tomonari in yahoo Japan is something too good to be true.

As you mentioned, I started with the wrong foot. I will do more due diligent next time and will not ask other member's opinions before I post mine.

Once again, my sincere apologize.

No harm meant in my post, Ferry but I think you can begin to give your opinion by now, that the best way to learn :)

Here is a Ko Bizen sword:

You will notice the mei, the sori in the nakago and the fact that the last 20 cm of the blade are straight (no sori).

image.jpeg

Dear Tag,

I have two reactions to your post.

1) I own a controlling interest in a large bridge in Brooklyn - which I can make available to you.....

2) I have in fact owned two (2!) Tomonaris (one in a great shingunto mount, boy I wish I had that bad boy back). That experience makes me wonder when and why these things were made. The woods are full of blades  signed - Sadamune, and Tomonari yahhh-dhhh yahhh-dahh. What was the premodern market for these, ahhhh, fakes? Who bought these swords? Why did they want them?  Oh, and by the way, who made 'em. Are these things Edo period or are they Meiji? Heck. could they be older? Where samurai of the Muromachi/Early Edo period aware of Tomonari?

In any case, I suggest that you explore this sword for the blade not the signature.

Peter

No offense taken Jean... in fact I really appreciate your posts and made me search to find answer to your questions.

After you post the photo of the real Ko-Bizen, I now have at least a reference to compare with.

And definitely I deserve a smack in the head. It couldn't be more obvious when I compare photos of both blades side by side.

I think I've learned my mistake and will be more careful next time.

post-3371-0-12971200-1448409194_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dear Tag,

I have two reactions to your post.

1) I own a controlling interest in a large bridge in Brooklyn - which I can make available to you.....

2) I have in fact owned two (2!) Tomonaris (one in a great shingunto mount, boy I wish I had that bad boy back). That experience makes me wonder when and why these things were made. The woods are full of blades  signed - Sadamune, and Tomonari yahhh-dhhh yahhh-dahh. What was the premodern market for these, ahhhh, fakes? Who bought these swords? Why did they want them?  Oh, and by the way, who made 'em. Are these things Edo period or are they Meiji? Heck. could they be older? Where samurai of the Muromachi/Early Edo period aware of Tomonari?

In any case, I suggest that you explore this sword for the blade not the signature.

Peter

Thanks Peter for your reply. Your last advise is definitely very sound in determining a sword.

I am in early stage of learning Nihonto, hence sometime I thought I can take a shortcut by just looking at the signature.

Well, for sure I learned my lesson and hopefully won't be tempted to do it again in the future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..