Fukuyama Castle Art Museum. Famous Kokuho swords

11 October - 7 December.

Went to see this today at last.

600 yen to get in, but the local chapter of the NBTHK gave us back 500 yen each. :lol: In one average-sized exhibition room upstairs, fairly well lit. The staff were quite vigilant, even requesting that we fill in the questionnaire NOT in ball pen, :bang: but in pencil. :dunno: They did let people use small lights, though. Very nice little catalog for 1,600 in the shop.

Joint exhibition of famous swords from the Komatsu and Mitsui Collections. Mitsui featured two Masamune Tanto so these came together, but each collection had one Sadamune Wakizashi, which were so similar they were placed side by side in the same glass case.

10 Kokuho, 13 Juyo Bunkazai, and one Juyo Bijutsu. I must have spent nearly two hours in that one room. To see so much and comprehend relatively so little, all for 100 Yen!

The very first Tanto at the entrance was by Kunimitsu, who perfected Nie deki, apparently, and taught it to his disciple Masamune, who emulated that and went on to add so much more. No English explanations, sadly, and I complained about it in the questionnaire, but it was seriously good Kanji practice to attempt to read all the placards. I think the regular members wondered what I was doing!

Just imagine looking at stunning examples of:

Sa x2

Kunihiro

Bizen

Masatsune

Norimune

Yoshifusa

Norifusa

Sukezane

Ichimonji Naginata

Kunimune

Kanemitsu x2

Motomitsu

Morikage

Yamashiro

Kunikiyo

Den Rai Kunimitsu

Mitsukane

Kuninobu

The great thing is that these kinds of exhibits take place in numerous places all over the country, quite frequently. It's amazing how many fantastic swords one can see and study in a year by exhibit hopping...Nothing like studying swords in Japan. Thanks for sharing...

The great thing is that these kinds of exhibits take place in numerous places all over the country, quite frequently. It's amazing how many fantastic swords one can see and study in a year by exhibit hopping...Nothing like studying swords in Japan. Thanks for sharing...

And this is exactly why, gentlemen like yourselves get the appreciation and knowledge, that you pass on to the rest of us mere mortals. And long may it continue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..