First sword tell me what think.

Juggernaut

• 4 months later...

I won't make any comments based on the signature as we have much more experienced members than myself giving advice on that.

What I'll say is, you got an in polish sword that you can study and that's good. Look at the hAmon and hada against pics in the connoisseurs and learn what you're seeing in hamon and hada. It looks from the pictures that it has some nice attributes.

Whatever the outcome of the signature, enjoy your new sword. You're now the caretaker of an old authentic, Japanese sword.

I too have one probably gimei example within my collection. However the work in the steel is good and the signature has not prevented me from enjoying the blade.

• Like 1

If you submit it, submit it to the NTHK so even if gimei (it almost certainly is) they may give an indication of attribution. Although you're paying $250 for what will most likely be a failed shinsa it's worth it on the off chance as I wouldn't want to be the guy who had the signature removed off a genuine Shinkai.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris.

The demarcation is at 24 inches or approximately 60 cms.  At or above is a katana, below a wakizashi.  There are subtleties but this is the general rule.  That's measured from the tip to the mune machi.

So if the length you quote is from tip to the machi then it is a katana.

Looking forward to finding out what happens at shinsa but whatever the outcome enjoy the sword.

All the best.

I won't make any comments based on the signature as we have much more experienced members than myself giving advice on that.

What I'll say is, you got an in polish sword that you can study and that's good. Look at the hAmon and hada against pics in the connoisseurs and learn what you're seeing in hamon and hada. It looks from the pictures that it has some nice attributes.

Whatever the outcome of the signature, enjoy your new sword. You're now the caretaker of an old authentic, Japanese sword.

I too have one probably gimei example within my collection. However the work in the steel is good and the signature has not prevented me from enjoying the blade.

I also have a gimei example which gives pleasure in its form and looks. So I echo these sentiments exactly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..