Age Determination of Kozuka...

Soshin

Hi Everyone,

Roman, thanks again for the information. Higher resolution photos of this kozuka will be up on my website shortly that are better seeing fine detail. The link to is below in my signature. This naive nanako-jita, dark black shakudo, and fine mon design makes me think Ko-Kinko (古金工) workmanship circa the Azuchi-Momoyama Period. This was likely a country work produced in some remote province and not in the capital of Kyoto. At shinsa it would likely get a generic Ko-Kinko (古金工) attribution confirming Pete's statement.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I purchased and just received a vintage kiri wood display box with a nice white silk pad from Japan. The very dark shakudo contrastes nicely with the light white background. Here is a quick photo I did of my Ko-Kinko kozuka in the new display box. I going be be adding photos of all of my tsuba in their own display boxes to my website. I already have it for some but will do the remaining ones over the weekend. Enjoy... :)

post-1126-14196905435381_thumb.jpg

P.S. I have been doing some more reading on the Kodogu no Sekai Blog and came across this interesting Ko-Kinko kozuka:

http://kodogunosekai.com/2011/07/13/ko-kinko-kozuka-%E5%8F%A4%E9%87%91%E5%B7%A5%E5%B0%8F%E6%9F%84-%E5%AE%A4%E7%94%BA%E6%99%82%E4%BB%A3/. Rich T. makes the following observations about the Ko-Kinko kozuka:

This piece is a little shorter than works of the Edo period, but its width is exaggerated in comparison with the length. This Kachimushi design is placed nicely in the center of the kozuka. This design trait is seen in many works from the Muromachi period from both the Ko Kinko and Ko Goto groups. It is an excellent piece with a majestic figure and shining eyes. This kozuka also has a thin Kibata 際端 (edge or side) to emphasize both the relief and the strength of the design.Length 100mm width 16.6mm.

I think it is worth noting that my kozuka has very similar design trait with the tea implements being located in the center and showing a sense of perspective much like the dragonfly. My kozuka is also a little shorter (9.7 cm long) and with the same exaggerated width (1.6 cm wide).

I too am enjoying following this,

I wonder have we jumped a step here - what about the basic construction of the piece itself - there was mention of the height of the design element - but what of the length, thickness and weight of the piece itself? What of the shape/size of the opening for the kogatana, what about how the piece is put together, one piece, two or three?

Along with application/patination techniques is this not how we determine age?

-t

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..