Kabuto Photos.

Dr Fox

Some advice please!

I have been asked to photograph a kabuto, with a view to the item being offered for sale soon.

So my question to you armour experts is.

What views and angles would you expect to see, that would give a good pictorial description, to answer questions that potential buyers would appreciate?.

I would garner answers on here for about a week, before I set up the shoot.

Justin Grants aviltar is an example of what I have here.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dr. Fox, The best angles are front, side, back and top without any crests if they are present. A close-up of the tehen kanamono is useful as are close-ups of any signature if one is visible. If there is the possibility of the helmet being old, an internal picture of the area around the tehen taken from the inside will show if the bowl has been assembled starting at the front or back which is an indication of date.

Ian Bottomley

Morning Denis.

Looking forward to seeing it. I suppose the answer is to some extent obvious, forgive me. Front, side, back and top as well as inside the brim and a shot of where the shikoro attaches to the helmet from inside would be a good start. Mei if it has one. Can't believe that this answer will help much but, hey, ho!

And Ian beat me to it with the authoritative view.)

All the best.

Dr. Fox, The best angles are front, side, back and top without any crests if they are present. A close-up of the tehen kanamono is useful as are close-ups of any signature if one is visible. If there is the possibility of the helmet being old, an internal picture of the area around the tehen taken from the inside will show if the bowl has been assembled starting at the front or back which is an indication of date.

Ian Bottomley

Hope I have followed the advice given by you both! Here goes.

post-3310-1419689681023_thumb.jpg

post-3310-14196896818035_thumb.jpg

post-3310-14196896823187_thumb.jpg

post-3310-14196896829151_thumb.jpg

post-3310-14196896836927_thumb.jpg

Dr. Fox, Many thanks for the images. What you have is a 16 plate suji bachi of very slight goshozan shape (slightly higher at the rear than the front). It is virtually impossible (for me at least) to identify the helmet's maker but I would hazard one of the many minor smiths associated with the Miochin group. The only feature that distinguishes it from the multitude of other helmets of this type is the shaping to the peak into lobes. The condition of the interior and what I can see of the koshimaki suggests it isn't very old - perhaps late 18th C at the most. The shikoro is conventional Hineno form and I note it has been inexpertly relaced and 'dirtied up' to make it look old (the clue to this is that the cross-knots should all run the same way).

Sorry I can't tell you anything else but it is one of those helmets that has no really distinguishing characteristics that would allow a more definitive identification. It is however a competent helmet with its original shikoro that should clean up nicely.

Ian Botttomley

Ian

Many thanks, I am pleased, that you were able to be so descriptive from the photos, the owner will be most grateful. And once again seeing something like this in hand, gives my curiosity gene a kick start. First tsuba's and now armour, (sigh) I should live so long.

Would you consent to the terms you used, being in the sales blurb. It will of course not indicate to yourself in any way.

A very rewarding experience for me, thanks again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..