Tsuba identification help

Ruslan T.

To All

Greetings. My name is Ruslan. I'm new on the board and in collecting Nihonto.

Can anyone help with the definition of the age and mei translation for this tsuba?

I suppose, that the material of the tsuba is copper.

I have bough it recently from one German dealer. This is the dealer information to this tsuba.

Form: Hakkakugata

Mei: Otsuryuken Hamano Kaneyuki

Mito School around 1850

Would this be a correct description for the tsuba?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Cheers

Ruslan Tarasenko :)

post-70-1419673365943_thumb.jpg

Hi Rusian, I can confirm that the second half of the mei reads Hamano Kaneyuki, I am not sure about the first bit. Just some speculation here but I am thinking this guy is a member of the HAMANO NORIYUKI kado. They share the same distinctive Yuki kanji and Hanamo. There is a sample of his mei in the Kinko Meikan, and it looks pretty similar to one of the versions of his signature.

I will try to look further into this, maybe someone else can jump in and help out ?.

cheers

Rich

Hello Rich, Hello Mr. Moriyama!

Thank you very much for the prompt answers.

Here is one more picture of the mei. May be you can see it better in it.

img268304zc8.th.jpg

I wonder, could this tsuba be from Edo?

I am just a beginner, but I have spent some time in studying (better say “looking atâ€) tsubas. OK, these were mostly at eBay and at sites of the Nihonto and Tosogu scholars and collectors, still I have never seen anything like this Tsuba from Edo period.

Thank you again.

Cheers,

Ruslan :)

Hi Ruslan,

the Mei reads in fact-there is no doubt about it-Otsuryuken Hamano Kaneyuki.He was a student and later the adopted son of the first Hamano master Masayuki.He lived from 1740 till 1776 and worked at Kanda/Edo.When he became the second hereditary Hamano master in 1769 he added a kao behind his Mei.Your Mei is similar but I believe,it's not Kaneyuki's one.The Tsuba is not his style.Maybe it was made in mid 19th Century:Gimei.I don't understand,why the dealer spoke from Mito style when there is a Hamano signature.Those guys from Mito are known as the greatest fakers of all the fitting artists.

Sorry and cheers

Ludolf

After further study, I agree the work is very different and also, I have attached a mei from Toso Kodogu Meiji Taikei and it looks quite different. This one attached looks to be clear and well struck, where Ruslan's appears to be much clumsier.

kaneyuki.jpg

I would be guessing it is gimei as well. I also do not thing the overall quality of the work stands up.

Cheers

Rich

Dear Rich, Ders Mr. Ludolf,

Thank you very much for your help and your knowledge!

Not very nice news, but that is still better than not to be aware of them. I believe one lesson I have learnt. :cry:

Could one recommend a good book in English about soft metal tsubas? :)

Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Ruslan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..