Info needed

Jean

I have just gone by a Rai smith named "Kunisuye" working around 1319, father was Rai Kunitoshi.

He was signing Sagami ju .. And seemed to have been linked to Nakajima Rai

That's all I have got.

Anyone else have some info? What was his rating? He does not seem to be well documented, did he die young?

http://katananokura.jp/SHOP/1212-W03.html

Read the posts Jacques and don't just glance at them.

I only used the standard terminology by the modern classification

Whatever it is sold for, it remains a wakizashi and the price reflects it.

BTW, how is it classified/labelled in the kanteisho :D ?

Jean, the site lists it as a Kodachi, but the paper catagorizes it as a Wakizashi. The papers also note "Den" above "(Rai Kunisuye"). Shirasaya says Niji Kunitoshi. The jigane is lovely and greatly resembles Niji work, but the yakiba (from what can be seen) is not quite as active as I would expect from Niji.

I know Ted and I was just saying to Jacques that I called it a wakizashi from the start (though presented as a kodachi) because it is now a wakizashi and labelled as this by the Kanteisho, like this one:

http://tsuruginoya.com/mn1_3/f00008.html

In the same way that a O suriage tachi is labelled as Katana by NBTHK.

I had noticed it was mentionned Den, but more interesting, it was the smith name as I had never seen one of his sword. It was easily explained as he died before 30. The hada is very good though it does not have masame as encountered on some of Kunitoshi swords (there was a good example posted by Darcy years ago).

Swords by Kunisuye being very rare, I doubt that more than three members have seen any papered blade by this smith if any, so being able to kantei such a sword to such a smith is a deed.

We all know what are worth sayagaki even done by the greatest experts when the swords pass to shinsa.

I agree that the yakiba is not one expected from niji Kunitoshi though one of the wildest hamon I have ever seen was a Kuniyuki on Display a 2011 DTI. I am sure few people would have been able to Kantei it.

Hi Jean,

At the time I glanced over the thread, my caffeine level was not sufficient to recognize the friendly sarcasm in your response. :lol:

As I see it, the description used by the seller as a kodachi would seem an effort to decribe the sword in terms of length/shape in conjunction with it's attributed period. Wakizashi, is indeed a classification of length but brings connotations of later periods. Semantics begins to emerge as technically, wakizashi did not yet exist in late Kamakura. Note that the drop down catagory it's listed under is wakizashi->kamakura jidai.

Here's a few pics from the sale for future reference. I hate going back and reading old posts, only to find the links (to relevant pics or info) are no longer active... :D post-2413-14196860841277_thumb.jpg

Also, it's interesting that the den prefix would be used with a smith who's work is apparently so scarce. It would be interesting to know what characteristics about this sword make it unusual for this smith.

Ok guys, I'll surrender. I confess I was very sarcastic :D . I entirely agree for the original being a kodachi, It is worth buying it. Who did the sayagaki? ( I did not search, but I like very much the writing).

Yes Adam, that is the reason of this post. An almost unknown smith, scarce work and a Den kanteisho...

Ted, have you ever seen a sword by this smith?

Ted, have you ever seen a sword by this smith?

No, but I would really like to see this one in hand, and someday the Jubi work by him listed in the Zenshu. An oshigata of it is shown and it greatly resembles Rai Kunitoshi work but with a slightly different boshi, soft undulation to the sugu hamon and short saka ashi in places. It's signed sanjimei Rai Kunisuye. The Zenshu also notes him as the son of Kuniyuki which would make him the brother of Kunitoshi. That conflicts with other sources that he is Kunitoshi's son or brother in law. Since the Jubi looks much more like Rai Kunitoshi (sanjimei) work, than Kuniyuki, this might support Kunisuye being his son instead of Kuniyuki's.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..