Sanskrit Buddhist ?

Widok4

Janusz,

No idea what this horrible "bonji" is supposed to mean, but it is of such low quality that the only reason it has been carved is to hide some flaw :steamed:

Don't shoot the messenger - it was not me who have defaced this sword, I am just pointing out that this "horimono" is an abomination :rant:

Sorry for the bad news...

Hi Janusz

Mariuszk is right about the quality of the horimono, it's not good. It is often the case that horimono were carved to hide flaws though I can't imagine a flaw that would be dealt with by this one. It is also the case that horimono were sometimes cut on shingunto and sometimes not well. Your sword seems to be earlier than showato judging by the nakago, but it may have had this added when mounted for service.

I must admit that I can't make much sense of the bonji however while looking for an example I came across this one, http://yakiba.com/kat_yasatsugu.htm Not only is this much better quality but it seems as close as I can get to yours, my best guess is that it is Fudo but I am sure others will be able to pin it down.

All the best

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..