Iron fuchi with old symbols in relief

I think your fuchi looks to be from the 1700's to 1800's. From my (limited) experience in general the height of earlier fuchi were lower during Edo/Momoyama times, the use of the older style kanji might have been due to due to a change in tastes and altitude during the Shin-Shinto period: many Samurai and Sword smiths started to look down on the Edo period swords and koshirae as somewhat decadent and wanted to revive the Koto style of sword making.

The gold inlay looks like it was intentionally made to look worn, (not a bad thing!) and matches well with the archaic symbols.

Regards,

Lance

Good morning!

The subject of KAISHO symbols on KODOGU has already been dealt with a year ago (ancient KANJI designs, in TRANSLATIONS, Jan. 30, 2012). This special FUCHI looks somewhat crudely made, maybe to underline an appearance of age?

Lance, I don't remember a change of altitude in the SHIN-SHINTO period!

Hi Jean, it is old, its made of iron too, iron oxidizes, thats why it looks old, or as you put it "crudely made". Its a lot harder working with iron than copper, bronze, silver, gold etc, thats why most iron fittings are not as intricate.

ps, who said it was "special"?, just wanted to find out more about it, that is what this sites for, isnt it?

Alex.

Good morning!

Lance, I don't remember a change of altitude in the SHIN-SHINTO period!

There was a change in attitudes during this time period, especially where swords are considered, that's why this time period is often referred to as Shin-Shinto Revival, many Shinto period swords when tested broke, I don't know how many times I've seen it written that Edo period swords were criticized for their flamboyant Hamon that tended to be too hard and cracked when actually used, I've lost count. This led to an attempt to revive the old Koto ways of sword production, recreating the hamon and hada of these old swords. Also this revival period saw Handachi koshirae became more popular again looking back towards the past.

Aside from the swords themselves after 100's of years of relative peace the Samurai became bureaucrats who were in danger of no longer being warriors, supplementing their income by becoming craftsmen or even worse, allowing merchants into their families through marriage or adoption :shock:

This was the period when most of what is known as the code of Bushido was codified

(From what I understand it was written down in the mid to late 1600"s, and would have had a very strong influence on the generation growing to adulthood in the early 1700's) Plus Hagakure, there was definitely (at least a romantic) desire to return to the old days when the Samurai were warriors first, scholars and poets second.

Regards,

Lance

.....it is old, its made of iron too, iron oxidizes, that's why it looks old, or as you put it "crudely made". It's a lot harder working with iron than copper, bronze, silver, gold etc., thats why most iron fittings are not as intricate.

ps, who said it was "special"?.....

Alex,

how old is old? There are some really fine 'old' iron TOSOGU parts to be seen, and the Japanese craftsmen had no problem to achieve a very fine finish even on iron or steel. Have a look at some HORIMONO or good TSUBA!

I did not want my remark to be understood as an evaluation or criticism, but when we talk about pictured KODOGU, a closer look should be allowed. In this FUCHI (I wrote 'special' because I meant the FUCHI here in discussion) you can clearly see that the traces of the tools had not been removed. Lines which could be straight aren't, and as we do not know the intentions of the respective craftsman I expressed the opinion that it was perhaps made to look 'old'.

Hi Jean, i know there are some high quality iron fittings, i never said that there wasnt. As you said, you cant look at something without giving it a closer look, fair enough, but i was just looking to find out more about the fuchi in the way of the symbols, and a date etc (if possible).

Alex.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..