What are the 2 strips of wood on the sides of the tsuka for? (Pic in post)

piryohae3

This is from a video about Bizen's sword museum. At first glance I thought it was a partial samegawa wrap like on cheaper production swords but upon closer inspection, the narrow strips of wood are on the outside which seems to indicate it is indeed a full same wrap. I thought it'd be optimal to have as much of the ito to have direct contact with the same to prevent slippage due to the bumpy texture.

post-5106-0-61597500-1569882086_thumb.jpg

Since rays aren't native to Japanese waters, who did they trade with to get the skins? I wonder how they came up with the idea to use ray skins on a tsuka in the first place.

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/samewrapping.html

But I question the comment that says ray skins were imported from south seas. I think rays are also found in Japan (at least, that's what wikipedia tells me), and I find it slightly hard to believe that there would have been sufficient south sea trade in ray skins to meet Japan's needs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowtail_stingray

Edit: I think there must be other threads on this topic. As I recall there is always some disagreement over exactly what type (genus) of rayskin is used.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..