3 replies to this topic

#1 Nickupero

Nickupero

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 531 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:13 AM

Have this tsuba that I am fond of, interesting motif which I'm not entirely sure is. Appears to be poems? I can't make out what is written on the cover of the books, maybe a member has seen this before. Details are quite nice.

IMG_8576.JPG IMG_8579.JPG IMG_8589.JPG IMG_8592.JPG IMG_8586.JPG IMG_8572.JPG

Nick Ricupero
nihontoart.com

#2 Guido Schiller

Guido Schiller

Metsuke

• Members
  • 3,007 posts
  • LocationTōkyō

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:37 AM

I can’t read the sōsho either, but FWIW, it’s not an uncommon motif, and usually simply described as 冊子図 sasshi-zu.

• Fuuten likes this

#3 kyushukairu

kyushukairu

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBelfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

Firstly, it will be easier to read if all the 'titles' are presented in a standarised way, so I've re-orientated and put them all together

The first 'title' looks like kanji to me. Something like 右今. Whilst I'm not 100% on the first character I'm fairly certain on the second 
The second title looks like hiragana done in sosho, and possibly そみ 
The third looks to be a mixture of hiragana and with kanji for the last character,?おの?, but the image for this one isn't very clear.

In my opinion, these books are most likely Chinese Classics https://en.wikipedia...hinese_classics  
In feudal Japan, the upper echelons were educated in Confucianism and were expected to memorise the 'four books and five classics' https://en.wikipedia...d_Five_Classics, so the theme is most likely a reflection of the owner's education and moral-political perspective. 

Ps. very nice tsuba, Nick. It's the sort of thing I would add to my own collection

Attached Thumbnails

• book tsuba.jpg

• Brian likes this

Kyle Shuttleworth Ph.D.
Token Society of Ireland

#4 Nickupero

Nickupero

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 531 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

Thanks Guido and Kyle for your input. I like the possibility of Chinese classics, I'll read into it more. 

Nick Ricupero
nihontoart.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq