Katana Mumei attributed as Yamato Senjuin NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon in Shirasaya, end of Kamakura

Koto Katana Mumei attributed as Yamato Senjuin NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon in Shirasaya, end of Kamakura period

Tanobe-sensei Sayagaki

Please, see my eBay listing: https://www.ebay.de/itm/186325535229

Many photos and videos available here:

https://drive.google...3gIqC_kD?usp=sharing

The sword is located in Prague, Czechia, EU.

Interested parties, please, contact me using zdenek-s@volny.cz

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

A2.thumb.jpg.32c318d6ecc5fc4f8d4000b03a0babc4.jpg

• Like 3

I write also a sword description here: 

A beautifully made katana attributed as Yamato Senjuin end of Kamakura period. The sword is about 700 years old and it is a Masterpiece.

Description

Katana in Shirasaya(NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon Token)

Signature: Mumei attributed as Senjuin

無銘(千手院)

Sayagaki: Yamato Koku Senjuin Tadashi Osuriage Mumei.

Among the five Yamato schools, this sword has the characteristics of Senjuin.

The blade is a masterpiece. Thare are many stunning works in the Hamon.

The Kamakura period. Blade length is 2 Shaku 2 Sun 8 Bu.

Written by Mr. Tanobe.

The blade was recently polished. There is a superb polish now.

Habaki : Gold foiled double habaki.

Blade length : 69.3cm or 27.3 inches.

Sori :1.5 cm or 0.59 inches.

Mekugi : 1

Width at the hamachi : 2.7cm or 1.06 inches.

Width at the Kissaki : 2.0 cm or 0.79 inches.

Kasane : 0.6cm or 0.236 inches.

The weight of the sword 660 grams.

Era : Late Kamakura period.

Shape : The blade is O-Suriage mumei and deep sori and longer kissaki. The blade is regular width and thickness.

Jigane :Itame hada well grained with jinie attach and chikei work and nice utsuri appears.

Shinogi-ji: Itame hada well grained which looks typical Kamakura jigane.

Hamon :Gunome midare is mixed with Nie deki suguha based and Koashi is mixed with Tobiyakki. In the blade, fine sunagashi and kinsuji work actively. Bo-shi is Midarekomi style with hakikake, double hamon on one side and Tobiyaki on the other side. There are Muneyaki on the blade.

At the foot of Mt. Wakakusa in Nara, there is a Senjuin temple dedicated to Senjuin Kannon, and the sword makers that existed here are said to be the Senjuin school. It is said that there were two sword smithes, Yukinobu and Shigehiro, at the earliest in the 5 Yamato school in the latter half of the Heian period.

This sword is a work of Yamato Senjuin around the end of the Kamakura period, about 700 years old. Despite of its oldness, this work has only one Mekugi ana.  There are many hataraki in the blade. Bo-shi is also a masterpiece which makes you feel fierce. Especially there are splendid freely changing patterns in the blade and Mr. Tanobe sensei’s Sayagaki describes the same content. When you keep the sword in hands, you can see and feel its oldness and fierce spirit of the time, when the sword was build. It is a very valuable piece.

Personal Comment: If I see the sword properly lighted, I feel like I'm looking into a deep universe with many stars and nebulae. A great sword.

Please, check more quality images incl. full blade photos, Shokai and videos:

Please, feel free to contact me with any your questions or requests concerning this item. 

If you go to the link above to download sword images, you will find there are uploaded 3 original images from Japan 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg. They were taken before the final polish, the other ones later after the polish. The sword looks the same, but there are no soft scratches on the blade, which may be seen on the said photos, if you check them particularly. Kissaki has a perfectly fixed geometry now, too. You may see on next photos and also above. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Price dropped to €14950 (CZK equivalent for PayPal payment) + PP fees + shipping costs.

Bank to bank transfer is prefered and free of charge. 

The sword may be inspected and picked up in Prague, Czechia.