Identifying Shirasaya sword

Hello I am new to this group and could use some help in Identifying a Shirasaya sword I bought at auction . it has not been well taken care of the scaber and handle are taped together , the sword is not rusted but does have some flaws to it the tang is rusted . I can not find a makers mark on the blade. the blade does not show signs of being sharpened, but it is very sharp. when assembled the handle and scaber match perfectly. How do I determine the age of the sword and authenticity  of the sword.  Any help would be appreciated.

DSCN0015.JPG

DSCN0016.JPG

DSCN0017.JPG

DSCN0018.JPG

John,

gluing the scabbard (not scaber) and handle is risky in case you use the wrong glue. Traditionally rice-glue is used, which will allow to split the scabbard for cleaning purposes without damaging the wood. If you use modern wood glue, this will not be possible.

Another difficulty is the water content. Any glue would have to dry out completely before re-using the SAYA, otherwise there is the risk of rust forming.

Your sword looks like an authentic Japanese blade and is probably a few hundred years old. To enable an expert to identify school and age, it is important that you do nothing to 'enhance' the blade. The rust on the NAKAGO is called 'patina' and it is an important factor for an age assessment.

Try to get in contact with an NMB member near you, would be my advice.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..