Kinai Sukashi Tsuba Info Request

Rusty

Greetings, all - this is my first post.

I'm hoping that some of you knowledgeable folks can help me fill in few blanks regarding this 8.4 cm tsuba. I'm told that the mei reads something like "Takahashi of Echizen," but it would be nice to know the exact translation. My understanding is that it was made somewhere around c. 1675 by the second Kinai master (per Bob Haynes) - presumably the Gonbei Takahashi who died in 1696, and was the son of the school's founder - but any clairification would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know what kind of flowering plant is depicted in the design?

Tsuba01sm.jpg

Tsuba02sm.jpg

Tsubamei.jpg

Thanks!

Hi Rusty - search the web for "summary of echizen kinai" for additional info. I think what you find will prove to be both fascinating and informative (and help understand the reference to "Takahashi of Echizen" you mentioned in your initial post). No guess on the flower/plant depicted. Thank you for sharing the pics - very pleasing tsuba!

Charlie Brashear

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..