Sayagaki Translation

Hey NMB-

JT Nesbitt here to pester you again...I made this post over a year ago about a mysterious wakizashi that I came across - 

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/39660-ayasugi-wakizashi-who-made-this/#comment-410561

This little dude has been eating at me for a year and a half, occupying way too much of my limited mental capacity. Recently I saw a great looking Hoju tachi on Aoi and the hada looked VERY similar to what I am seeing in this Wakizashi, a little more random and "messy" than Gassan. I read that Hoju made Wakizashi, but that they were "rustic". This fits with what I have in hand. In light of this, I would like for someone to please help with an exact translation of this sayagaki. Thank you for your kind attention! -- JT

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

The sayagaki reads 左衛門三郎 左 Saemonzaburō Sa, pushing attribution towards one of the top swordsmiths in Japan.

That Hōju tachi is a wonderful sword, unfortunately couldn't afford it in 2016, and couldn't afford it now... Perhaps it will pop up again in 2030. :laughing:

• Love 1

For Hōju short swords I have so far 9 wakizashi (7 signed, 3 dated), 7 tanto (5 signed, 1 dated) and 4 ken (2 signed, 1 dated), and in overall bit over 100 swords for this school. Liking this school might be bit weird, and lot of it for me personally it is because it being northern rural work, and I don't mind some rougher looking items.

• Like 1

Oh I just record every sword of the school I see in references, unfortunately I do not own any. Highest designated Hōju swords are Jūyō Bunkazai, and lowest ones I have on record are NTHK attributed ones or NBTHK Hozon. Of course some do not have "designations" so to say but are in collections of Tokyo National Museum, Kurokawa Research Insitute, Temples, Shrines etc. so they are legitimate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..