Kanayama vs Ko-shoami.

Artur DrogaMiecza

From my experience of having owned some papered Kanayama and Ko-Shōami tsuba, what is most important in telling the difference is the detail and characteristics and the distribution of the forged iron.  What I have seen in Kanayama tsuba that are thicker at the rim and thinner toward the seppa-dai and that they would have rounded square rims (kaku-mimi-koniku 角耳小肉) versus a more pain round rim (丸耳). Also, with Kanayama you would have many large iron-bones (tekkotsu 鉄骨) appearance the of the iron bones. I see that in your Kanayama tsuba example above along with the large strong iron bones along the rim. Thank you for sharing your nice Kanayama tsuba. :thumbsup:           

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2023 at 1:20 PM, Soshin said:

From my experience of having owned some papered Kanayama and Ko-Shōami tsuba, what is most important in telling the difference is the detail and characteristics and the distribution of the forged iron.  What I have seen in Kanayama tsuba that are thicker at the rim and thinner toward the seppa-dai and that they would have rounded square rims (kaku-mimi-koniku 角耳小肉) versus a more pain round rim (丸耳). Also, with Kanayama you would have many large iron-bones (tekkotsu 鉄骨) appearance the of the iron bones. I see that in your Kanayama tsuba example above along with the large strong iron bones along the rim. Thank you for sharing your nice Kanayama tsuba. :thumbsup:           

Thank You very much!

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..