Fact checking : Tsuba 1 : Kuni Hiro

DirkO

Hi,

I'm looking to sell this tsuba and I just want to verify what I think is the correct info about them. So please, any remark at all would be greatly appreciated. This was my first tsuba and I like it a lot, because of it's simple nature. But I like a good naginata better so I have to make some sacrifices :-)

Tsuba 1:

mei : Kuni Hiro

Edo Period

Dark patina

Kakugata form and kaku mimi.

Kozuka itsu ana and kogai itsu ana are open.

Size: 78mm×72mm

Nakago ana 28mm×9mm

I don't know about these scratches on the 1st pic, could they be described as battlescars ? Is it something worth mentioning ?

EB1a.JPG

EB3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice tsuba there, Zanshin. Funnily enough, I have a smaller Kunihiro (I think) iron tsuba here which I am just now researching. Nade-kaku-gata. 6.4cm x 7 cm. 4mm thick at mimi. 2 hitsu-ana. As with yours, it just has the two characters 国広 in the old Kanji, although they must be different smiths.

As to the scratches, common sense suggests to me that the owner was careless replacing the kozuka/kogai. However, common sense doesn't always work for me, so maybe they are battle scars! Good luck with the sale!

Would yours not be better called sumi-kiri-kaku-gata?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..