Mondonosho Masakiyo? Doubt it! Worth restoration? Opinions?

Keith

:bang: post-242-14196857419315_thumb.jpg:bang: Members, I need your help. My Father purchased a WW II katana in 1950 for $30.00. It was damaged by flood waters of hurricane Katrina. My father has passed the sword to me. I would like restore it to its former glory. I have spent far too much time browsing the internet over the past seven years researching this sword and I'm still left scratching my head. Description in laymans terms. Officers sword with leather clad scabbard, mon on kashira. The blade is 28.5 in. The boushi requires repair. A nearly straight hamon is present to the tip of the blade. It has one slight bend midway through it. I belive there is enough "meat" to polish out MOST of the surface flaws. I know Bla.. bla... bla... typical WW II sword story. This is where it gets intresting mei : Sashu Ju Mondonosho Masakiyo? No arsenal markings. No hollyhock. The 6th and 7th characters are switched posisitions from signatures I have viewed. Could this be that a forger did not have access to the actual signature? Is this a prized shinto era Masakiyo blade that should receive a full polish by a master craftsman. Is this a common ugly duckling forgery that should be hand polished bright and accepted as "it is what it is"? Need your Opinions. Thanks Keith B.

post-242-14196857422619_thumb.jpg

post-242-14196857423075_thumb.jpg

post-242-14196857423563_thumb.jpg

post-242-14196857424238_thumb.jpg

post-242-14196857424942_thumb.jpg

You might consider just coating it with light machine oil. Then periodically wipe the oil off and recoat. Very thin layer is best.

Most attempts to " clean" swords by those not properly trained end in damage to the sword.

This sword doesn't look too bad considering its been through Katrina.

This link may help you

http://www.nbthk-ab.org/Etiquette.htm

Hope it helps and good luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..