translation/identification assistance help please!

awhitetriangle

total novice here so please treat me as such, i inherited a number of items from my grandfather many years ago, and rediscovered the box recently containing various coins and other artifacts. i was interested in cleaning and researching some of the coins and after speaking to a friend who is a keen metal detector hobbyist, he offered to lend me an electrolysis cleaning device. he also advised i practised using the machine on something before trying to clean any potentially valuable coins. so i picked the most encrusted item, which appeared to be the hilt of a knife and began the process. after a number of hours cleaning i was amazed to see some characters and detail emerge from this green lump of rust. i have only spent time on on side so far, pic 1, but the other side, pic 2, also has characters emerging and traces of gilding and silvering. any comments of info greatly appreciated. even if its a load of junk, i'm now just really interested to know. thanks in advance to any kind members who may be able to help...

DSC07342.jpg

DSC07343.jpg

....I was interested in cleaning and researching some of the coins and after speaking to a friend who is a keen metal detector hobbyist, he offered to lend me an electrolysis cleaning device....so i picked the most encrusted item, which appeared to be the hilt of a knife and began the process. after a number of hours cleaning i was amazed to see some characters and detail emerge from this green lump of rust.....

Please bear in mind that any amateurish 'cleaning' or 'restauration' may be or even is a loss of historical value and market value as well, the more as you have no idea of what you are handling! Something really old will not be more beautiful or 'better' with a look of a recently made item. Speak with experts first, then decide to 'clean'!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..