Read the bottom line of this auction..Poor Tsuka......

Thats probably what the purchaser feels like when he gets the blade at home :laughabove:

Please, in the interest of learning, tell me what would make that blade + fittings a 'rape' to buy at $800? It's fairly unremarkable-looking, mumei and suriage... but is there THAT little a value for anything that's not perfect-polished art with papers?

FWIW I wouldn't buy it compared to other things I've seen at that value but it's a few hundred dollars worth of history to me, and the blade isn't brutalized like most of what you see on ebay.

Sometimes I feel like most collectors would be pleased to throw away and destroy most of the remarkable historical bounty that Japanese swords are. But there is no other arms-collecting field where pieces centuries old in better-than-relic condition are so easily available!

Pardon my heresy here but this is something that has been bothering me for years as I've read about and followed interest in this hobby.

There's also the thread running concurrently about the naginata-naoshi with the absurd Toba-Fushimi story. Sure, that story is BS of the worst variety- but if I walked upon it with $30 I'd buy it in a second, if just for the fun of researching the sugata and mei and determining some history based on that. Yes, I know it'll sell for a few hundred. But posts there are implying it's not even worth the $30. Okay, let's take all these hundreds of years old artifacts to our local iron scrapper!

Sorry to ruin the little joke that started this thread with some seriousness. But perhaps an easily-forgotten thread like this is is the best place to vent a very different opinion such as mine. An opinion I've formed with an understanding of the expense of restoration of pieces (which is the reason for the general massive divide in value of pieces) but also some perspective of collecting in other fields.

Am I ignorant? Of course I am- this hobby is so deep a field that even a lifetime of study is only beginning to comprehend it. But these items are hundreds of years old now and I feel it's time to consider a historical value as well as the standards of artistic value that have been held for hundreds of years.

If this statement is out of line, I will accept this post being removed by the moderation.

Respectfully,

J. Penn