tool for stuck tsuka?

Min Lee

Hi.

Maybe not the right part of the forum to post this question but... 

One of my newly acquired Shinsakuto's tsuka is stuck. Not sure why. I had took apart the sword prior and fitment was perfect. very well done tsuka.

Anyway, in state of panic I order a Kozuchi from Tozando but this tool is made for shirasaya.

On one of the FB group I'm part of a gentleman posted a pic of a different tool that looks to be specifically made to loosen tsuka for swords in koshirae.

Gentleman that posted a pic of it did not know where to get one.

I was hoping if anyone here knows where to purchase such a thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

koshirae tool.jpg

• Love 1

Hi,

Of course it depends on Tsuba (how rich and eager to damage it is) but you can try homemade setup. Small hammer + piece of wood. 

Put the wood on Tsuba (from habaki side) to cover it from "hammering", gently tap with hammer on the wood. 

That worked for me in the past. However, as I mentioned, it depends on Tsuba as even with wood in between hammer CAN DO damage. 

Looks homemade from old chair parts (note the hammer is made from two leg parts). The wedge is a block of wood put through a table saw then cut at an angle. If you have access to a table saw you could make these quite easily. I would add a soft but rigid "foot pad" on the end to protect the tsuba.

John C.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been "making do" with a large hardwood door stop which is wedge shaped and a mallet with a rubber head piece on one side and hard silicone on the other. I glued a piece of felt on the base of  the wedge to avoid scratching the blade as the base of the stop can contact it. Of course, with a really tight tsuka this may be insufficient but is an option.