KANESUMI SAKU SWORD ??

Johnant

Well, the signature says Kanesumi saku and it’s not a repro……ie made by Kanesumi. There were very many smiths using this name in Mino province from around 1500 all the way up to the 20thC. There is no guarantee the signature is genuine but because many of the smiths were not highly rated it stands a good chance of being right. The images are not great but I think the blade has had a very rough time. I cannot see why it looks painted but I can see several nasty chips in the edge and overall (when enlarged) it looks to have been heavily and badly cleaned with fresh rust on top of old pitting. It may be possible to professionally restore it but it would cost a lot and may not be economical.

It’s not a sword to spend a lot on in my opinion if you are thinking of buying it.

For the experts on here to tell you more we would need far better images together with dimensions 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matsunoki said:

Well, the signature says Kanesumi saku and it’s not a repro……ie made by Kanesumi. There were very many smiths using this name in Mino province from around 1500 all the way up to the 20thC. There is no guarantee the signature is genuine but because many of the smiths were not highly rated it stands a good chance of being right. The images are not great but I think the blade has had a very rough time. I cannot see why it looks painted but I can see several nasty chips in the edge and overall (when enlarged) it looks to have been heavily and badly cleaned with fresh rust on top of old pitting. It may be possible to professionally restore it but it would cost a lot and may not be economical.

It’s not a sword to spend a lot on in my opinion if you are thinking of buying it.

For the experts on here to tell you more we would need far better images together with dimensions 

It is in my possession I bought it at at thrift store lucky find

How old do you think?

29”…….is that the full length including tang or just the cutting length? Need just the length from tip to notch in back of blade that separates the tang section.

cant tell much from these pics. Need to see square on full blade images taken with tip vertical to get idea of shape preferably without the habaki on it….then someone might have an idea.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Matsunoki said:

29”…….is that the full length including tang or just the cutting length? Need just the length from tip to notch in back of blade that separates the tang section.

cant tell much from these pics. Need to see square on full blade images taken with tip vertical to get idea of shape preferably without the habaki on it….then someone might have an idea.

Screenshot_20230305_095838_Gallery.thumb.jpg.63df4cd7c1da1d895567b97dc539a193.jpg

1678028533685389064381043071121.jpg

16780285827154250700344583604318.jpg

Ok, in its favour….it’s not a fake, it looks to have a nice silver habaki, the nakago looks ubu (unshortened) and it has a Mei (signature) and it’s a nice long blade. As for what has been done to the blade (ignoring the terrible rusted kissaki (tip)) I’m at a total loss. You have it in hand so you can obviously see it’s either been plated or painted…..not so obvious from the images. There is no good reason an old blade would be plated and it would be a difficult and pointless process. However painting is more likely….but God knows why.

As for age….I’m not good at this but I’d say possibly early 19thC .

I hope others will help out. Not much else I can add.

• Love 1

I can’t tell you what has happened to the blade sadly. Can you show any better high res closeups?

…as for value…..it’s in a bit of a mess….it looks like it would be very costly to restore if even possible (depends what has been done to it)…so probably only a modest value in this condition. So much depends on exactly what has been done already. 
What does the saya (scabbard) look like. The fuchi looks to have a WW2 catch on it.

19 minutes ago, Matsunoki said:

I can’t tell you what has happened to the blade sadly. Can you show any better high res closeups?

…as for value…..it’s in a bit of a mess….it looks like it would be very costly to restore if even possible (depends what has been done to it)…so probably only a modest value in this condition. So much depends on exactly what has been done already. 
What does the saya (scabbard) look like. The fuchi looks to have a WW2 catch on it.

No scabbad i wish i had it

18 minutes ago, Matsunoki said:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..