Is there a proper way to choose a kogatana for kozuka?

(Apologies in advance if this has been covered before...not sure what search terms to use but "choose" or "selecting" and "kozuka blade" didn't come up with much)

A topic which has passed my mind quite a few times while studying kozuka handles. Was wondering if there is a proper method or guide to choosing kozuka blade. Was there an evolution of design of the shape? Should the kozuka blade match the age and maker of the main nihonto blade, or flow more ensuite with the fittings?

While we're at it, is there a good source for wooden blanks or filler kozuka blades? Many times the kozuka blades seem to rust in the saya, so perhaps its best to display a kozuka handle with its saya with a wooden filler blade instead of an actual blade?

Thank you in advance...

I would think that since the kogatana was used mostly as a utility knife/utensil it would have been made to order with a new koshirae, or even blade, initially. Would you prefer to eat your food with a war soaked dinner knife, or a newer one ..One that only you has ever used? I'd prefer the latter one.

As for collecting, I display kogatana in a box. Use a filler... They're fairly in expensive.. Wooden or steel. As to a good source.. I think ryujinswords.com has a steady supply last time I browsed his site.

Edit: £50 http://ryujinswords.com/kozuka.htm

Thank you Chris and Josh. The ryu site looks interesting; hopefully there's something similar to be found in the states. I usually prefer to display kozuka by themselves, but when they come as part of a set of fittings, would rather keep them together...who am I to separate a set that may have been together for decades if not hundred years or more?

Maybe I'll try my hand at making a wooden blank...just got to find a local source for honoki wood....

Thanks again.

Just a thought but you might try bamboo. Because of the relative size of a kogatana tsunagi honoki would be rather weak and I have seen bamboo used. It seems relatively easy to obtain in this country at garden centres and one large sized piece would do you an awful lot of kogatana sized pieces.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..