Looking For Info About Gendaito Smith Imaizumi Toshimitsu

singlechange

I came across a swordsmith by the name of Imaizumi Toshimitsu. I was reading a letter that sword scholar and collector Col. Dean S. Hartely wrote in 1965 after he visited the home of the swordsmith in Osafune and he was privileged to observe Toshimitsu at the forge and took photographs.  In the letter Col. Hartley says Bob Haynes owns one Toshimitsu sword. I am having trouble finding details about Toshimitsu. I would appreciate any help from members who have heard or come across the smith's name or have examined the smith's sword. Where might I try to get more information about Toshimitsu? 

Robert A.

From an absolute must have book, Markus Sesko's "Index of Japanese Swordsmiths",

Toshimitsu (俊光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Okayama – „Bizen no Kuni Osafune-jū Fujiwara Toshimitsu“ (備前国長船住藤原俊光),

„Zō Bizen no Kuni Akasaki-jū Imaizumi Wataru Toshimitsu saku“ (造備前国赤崎住今泉済俊光作), civilian name „Imaizumi Wataru“

(今泉済), born April 21st 1898 in Saga Prefecture, he worked before at a spinning mill and forged swords as a hobby, he enjoyed a regular

training from 1934 onwards under Hirano Morikuni (平野護国), 1945 he moved to Osafune where he tried to revive the old Bizen-Osafune

tradition, during World War II he worked as rikugun-jumei-tōshō, in March 1954 he became an intangible cultural property of Okayama

Prefecture, he used the gō „Tenmei Juraku“ (天命寿楽) and died on August 8th 1995

Joe, Thanks a bunch. Now I really think I should try to get to your Midwest group meeting in November with special guest speakers Markus Sesko and Chris Bowen. By the way, I really like the way you put together your website and find the special section for photographs of  the group member's sword collection a very good idea.

Robert A.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..