Info needed on hamon.

Brian, you're getting knocked because you haven't paid your dues with the book knowledge and it shows.

I say this respectfully to point it out to you.

You start this thread saying it's a beautiful blade and you'd buy it in a second yet you're talking about a Chinese fake in all probability.

Your beautiful hamon is acid etched.

With six swords and only three books, you run a good risk of buying one of these fakes if you don't slow down a little.

Nihonto study will take a lifetime; don't burn out now.

You've just copped a little flak because you're admiring an acid etched hamon on a fake blade and with a little work on your part, that shouldn't happen.

Slow down and smell the clove oil...

;)

I think Lee's comment was what a lot of us wanted to say, Brian, but held back.

I have a very similar blade to the one you were looking at - my very first real>fake, Japanese>Chinese, great hamon>acid-etched sword - that I now use to chop down small trees in my yard. The best I can say about it after about 25 years is that is is sturdy & sharp.

Save yourself some money & go buy some more books, attend your local sword club meetings, & soon enough you will have enough knowledge to buy what you will really treasure.

Ken

there are a couple of members from ohio that post here, maybe they can help.

if the midwest token kai (in chicago) is restarted, you should definitely check it out. i make a 6 hour drive to san francisco once a year, and it is definitely worth it.

whatever you do, stay away from here:

Hay Ho, guess by reading that bundle I am still the only one who gives that Hamon a chance,would be prepared to bet a round pound I am right. And that is a bet from a Cornish person........ not often seen. :glee:

Did I miss the pic's of the Nakago? or the mounts?....Both would give a good indication of the Japan/China debate would it not?.

Have seen many Chinese fakes,the early one did not have a Hamon as such like those today,so, without some good pic's of everything..........

Did I miss the pic's of the Nakago? or the mounts?....Both would give a good indication of the Japan/China debate would it not?.

I was thinking it could be a super badly polished but real blade. The odd kissaki appearance can come from this, plus the quality of the photo can make us think of an acid etched hamon.

Like Roy, I would like to see the nakago, just to be sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..