Help identifying this knife I found

Birdhunter1220

Hi I hope I am in the right section of this board. This my first time here. If I should ask this question some where else please let me know. I found this knife out training my dog. It was in Eastern Washington state. I hope the pictures I took will help with the identification.

landscape022-1.jpg

landscape023.jpg

landscape025.jpg

landscape020.jpg

landscape018.jpg

landscape021.jpg

landscape017.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bill

An unusual find...

I believe the signature reads Keiryu.

There is one smith who signed with these kanji in my reference book(Hawleys). Here is the info.

Keiryu - Yamashiro 1681 60 Same as Yoshihira ~ ~ KEI2

So, your sword is signed by Keiryu of Yamashiro province(or made his work in Yamashiro style). He lived around 1681, so if the signature is genuine, your blade is of that time. Very roughly, 1600 - 1800 AD, was known as the Shinto period.

The 60 refers to a points rating. 60 is high and means your smith is a good one.

Bear in mind that fake signatures of the big names have been put on blades by the Japanese for centuries so that could be the case here.

I'd recommend getting this blade into knowledgeable hands as it could be worth something.

They'll also be in a better position to say if the damage to the blade is repairable.

Given the macabre appearance, that it was found in the woods and doesn't appear to have been there for too long...maybe it should visit the local constabulary first. If you go that route, figure out where you've been every night for the last year and go with a lawyer... :)

P.S. http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/faq.html

You'll find general care and maintenance described here. Fingers on a blade can cause expensive damage to a polished blade. This blade isn't polished but I certainly wouldn't want my fingerprints on it.

Bizarre!

In 99% of cases, "blood stains" claims on a Japanese blade are nonsense. Hope this one isn't an exception. If it is..I can only hope that some hunter was using a bringback as a hunting knife. It does look like it can't have been out there too long. Is it evidence or is it something you should clean as soon as possible? :dunno:

It has been ground and incorrectly sharpened, so any chances of restoration would have to be evaluated by someone who knows them. Was it your dog who chewed the handle? :lol:

If those are just rust stains, then I would hit it with loads of oil fast. Don't use anything abrasive.

Wow...I wish I could find an antique tanto while walking my dog :)

Brian

Hi Bill -

What an interesting woods find! I never heard of a smith named Keiryu before (nor did I recognize the kanji) which led me into checking further. There is quite a lot written about the smith who used this signature late in life, more commonly known as YoshiHira, in Fujishiro Shin-to hen, p. 109-111 (Harry Watson's translation, pp. 53, 54), an impressive "JoJo saku" rated smith. I was excited about your little tanto, hoping the best for you that is was indeed by this smith. But checking his "late in life" signature illustrated in Fujishiro, the kanji on your tanto seem totally unlike the illustrated example. I shouldn't say "totally" since a few initial features did seem similar, but stroking is quite different.

I would say it would be very wise to eventually have a knowledgeable collector check this blade out "in hand" and see what the blades forging/hamon, etc., might tell you about it. I've attached the mei of your discover and the one in Fujishiro...interest comparison!

Ron H.

post-2327-14196836557721_thumb.jpg

I want to thank everyone for the wealth of information given. I am into knives but not Japanese knives, so at some point I would like this to go to someone who will really appreciate it. I was in Japan in the early 70's and love the culture and people. I would like to get this in the hands of someone who could judge the quality of this knife. If anyone can tell me someone I could send it to that is reputable I would appreciate if very much. I do love history and hope I can get some place it deserves to be. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Bill

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..