New Member Need Help With ID Of Sword

Pat Hammond

Hi. My name is Pat Hammond. I was given this sword from my dad. In 1945 he was a US Marine in the Battle Of Iwo Jima. This is the sword he returned with from the island. Any info you know will be greatly appreciated.

Also want to know if a sword cleaning kit from ebay will help me protect the sword and it's patina. Or do I need something else for cleaning, not drastic cleaning, just something to preserve and prevent any further rust.

DETAILS:

The scabbard is longer than the sword.

The total blade length is 27"

The tang is 6 "

The blade is 21 " where the notches for the habaki rests.

No visible markings on tang.

What else can I tell you?

Here's the pics.

103_0064.jpg

103_0048.jpg

103_0038.jpg

103_0047.jpg

103_0051.jpg

103_0043.jpg

103_0042.jpg

103_0041.jpg

103_0039.jpg

103_0040.jpg

103_0046.jpg

103_0045.jpg

103_0049.jpg

103_0055.jpg

103_0056.jpg

103_0057.jpg

103_0058.jpg

103_0059.jpg

103_0060.jpg

103_0078.jpg

103_0077.jpg

103_0053.jpg

103_0054.jpg

103_0050.jpg

103_0069.jpg

103_0067.jpg

103_0071.jpg

103_0070.jpg

103_0061.jpg

103_0062.jpg

103_0063.jpg

103_0073.jpg

103_0074.jpg

103_0075.jpg

Others will help you with Identification.

You'll want either choji oil, or light machine oil.

Refer to the following link for instructions on handling properly.

You might want to lay it on soft cloth rather than grass also

Hope this helps

Jamie

Jamie is right - the first thing to do is to keep it off grass! The second is to get a soft piece of toweling & gently wipe the blade down with mineral oil, but don't wipe the nakago (the part that was covered by the tsuka, or handle). Keep the blade in its saya (sheath) unless you're looking at it, & try to keep any moisture away from the sword. That will at least keep it in the shape you have it in right now.

Ken

Yes, please take it up off of the grass! From what little I know, it looks like a well-made blade and fittings. Never risk moisture to rust it further, just in case. My $0.02 worth but will follow the thread!

Curtis R.

something to preserve and prevent any further rust.

http://www.jssus.org/articles/7.html This article linked here explains care.

Buying a sword kit is not a bad idea as long as the items are of known quality, I've always purchased from Bushido out of Hawaii without problems http://www.bushidojapaneseswords.com/booksupplies.HTM

It is ok to oil the nakago with light coat of oil padding any excess off as stated in the care article. Plain unscented Kleenex are fine to use in wiping down the sword, just don't reuse as you do not wish to be rubbing soiled dirt etc. back onto the sword. Use the NMB search function for discussions on oil and rust care.

It appears you have a traditionally made nihonto (a wakizashi if I'm understanding your measurements correctly), that is hand forged, water quenched, made from tamahagane. There are a considerable number of articles and glossaries available online to begin becoming acquainted with terms and definitions (see links posted at the top of this website).

The current condition of the sword makes it difficult to tell much more at this time, although the presence of togari in the hamon 'might' hint towards a Mino or Bungo sword, perhaps, just a guess. The habaki looks to be a 2 piece copper with a koke (moss) pattern, which may have been foiled at one time. The menuki are cranes in what looks like shakudo with some gilding. The tsuba and fuchi/kashira are iron, and collectors here will probably id age and schools of manufacturer.

The way the nakago kinks towards the jiri makes me think Hizen Tadakuni.

Here is a good example of what I mean - http://yakiba.com/juyo_token_tadakuni.htm

But in current condition that would be a large assumption to make.

I certainly think that little dog leg in the nakago is a pointer to something - whether it be Tadakuni or another smith/school that shaped their nakago that way.

I'm not so sure about this one, I think you might need to sell it to me.

Just kidding, I really like this, but of course I love the war time period swords, some people dont.

But yes , get off the grass, and keep it in the saya, some people dont seem to care for the war time made swords, but this one does not have the usual combat fitting's, or the standard Tsuka, or the menuki either for war time swords.

It could be an family blade, and if so it could possibly be an traditionally made blade

Yes, keep it off the grass, and in the Saya.

If you ever think about selling it, please do let me know.

thanks

Brian

Just kidding, I really like this, but of course I love the war time period swords, some people dont.

There doesn't appear to be anything about this sword that suggests WW2 except that it came from Japan in 1945.

Swords of all ages were taken from Japan at that time so you cannot determine its age from that.

Hi Pat.

Franco has pretty much covered everything. All I can add is that the style of fittings are usually associated with Higo province, the two piece habaki is a very good fit and so is unlikely to have had a silver or gold foil jacket; I would expect some looseness between the pieces if it had one. Having said that I have one sword where a two piece habaki has been given a single, all over silver foil jacket but this is most unusual.

I should also say that I think this is a nice sword, albeit rather worn and in need of some TLC. Your plan to stabilize it for now is a good one and while it might never repay the cost of restoration financially it would be nice to see it in its full glory. An amazing amount to learn so don't rush into anything but welcome to the board.

All the best.

OK the sword is off the grass. I've got lots of studying to do.

The habaki appears to be soldered together. In my youth I remember it was a brass or copper color, never foiled or shiny. Some of the spots of discoloration is the green color that copper gets.

Theres no sign of a tatty leather saya cover.

So can I wipe it off with mineral oil using a microfibre cloth, or must I use tissue?

Well, since Nagato was a Japanese battleship...I do hope they did clean her occasionally. :glee: :rotfl: :lol:

However, the nakago (tang) of a Japanese sword is never cleaned. ;)

As for Curtis' nagako....my research says: "Nagako is an uncommon Japanese given name for females" so I really hope they were cleaned occasionally too. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Brian

Ah Brian - see what a round-eye does when he triest to spell AND is dyslexic (not really) :rotfl:

Thank you and yes, I meant the tang - NaKAgo- , not the ship or girl (although you're right....probably a good idea in all cases!)

I'll get it right one day, I promise :bang: !

That's why I love this board!!!

Curtis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..