1st sword purchase possibility

kolhoznik

I am new to nihonto but I have been reading for a while and am thinking about making a first purchase at a local shop. I was curious to find out some information about the sword so far as is it real, time period, approximate worth, and anything else worth knowing. It looks like its tsuba, sheath and shirasaya? are WWII era. I took probably more pictures than I needed, but included are are signature and what looks like a stamp near the top of the tang. (An arsenal mark?) The flash washes the hamon out a little but it is there and the is a couple of small nics near the tip. Thank you for any help.

DSCN5366.jpg

DSCN5365.jpg

DSCN5364.jpg

DSCN5362.jpg

DSCN5363.jpg

DSCN5361.jpg

DSCN5360.jpg

DSCN5359.jpg

DSCN5357.jpg

DSCN5356.jpg

DSCN5354.jpg

DSCN5353.jpg

DSCN5352.jpg

DSCN5351.jpg

DSCN5350.jpg

DSCN5349.jpg

DSCN5348.jpg

DSCN5347.jpg

DSCN5346.jpg

DSCN5345.jpg

DSCN5343.jpg

DSCN5344.jpg

DSCN5342.jpg

Even though this sword is non-traditionally made is it still made by a smith or is it just stamped?

There is some handwork involved but it is probably made with western steel and oil quenched. If you want a real nihon-to, you may wish to save your money for something else.

There's nothing to love, and no indication if it is a great buy without a price :?

It's a nice-ish WW2 mass produced sword..a nice item for militaria collectors, but at the bottom of the Nihonto tree.

I expect it to be worth around $700-800 or so...so a good deal if you paid a few hundred. Not so much if you paid more. Nothing to get too excited about or fall in love with.

Brian

:bang:

(in answer to a now-deleted post above that took offence at any criticism of these Gunto.)

This forum is called THE NIHONTO MESSAGE BOARD.

These swords are not NIHONTO.

They are militaria by definition...nothing wrong with that. But you don't discuss Jeeps in a BMW forum. There is a Gunto section here...that is where I allow Showato discussion. It's my forum, don't tell me how and what to discuss. You are confusing advice you don't like, with rudeness. Seems you need to learn the difference.

Brian

Brian,

This is out of line. When people ask for opinions they are given. You shouldn't become upset just because everyone doesn't agree that you've found a national treasure in your Showa to. They are trying to HELP you. In time you'll understand.

We've all made plenty of mistakes-be glad you didn't spend 10k on something not worth that because I know someone who did. These folks are trying to prevent that from happening to you.

What is really out of line is that Brian ( the loud, ill mannered one :rant: , not our gentle forum host ;) ) isn't actually the person who was asking for input on the sword. And, the sword hasn't been purchased as I understand it, the OP was asking for info with a possible purchase in mind.

I think Brian ( our mild mannered and polite one :roll: ) was actually quite correct in his summation apart from the "bottom of the Nihonto tree" bit. This sort of sword isn't on THAT tree....it's a scraggly weed in the field next door. :badgrin:

There's nothing to love, and no indication if it is a great buy without a price

It's a nice-ish WW2 mass produced sword..a nice item for militaria collectors, but at the bottom of the Nihonto tree.

I expect it to be worth around $700-800 or so...so a good deal if you paid a few hundred. Not so much if you paid more. Nothing to get too excited about or fall in love with.

I knew that :thumbsup: {Really did not $%@&?#}

Makes an interesting point though,when we were starting,had no knowledge apart from Yumoto's bible,little money but filled with the need to own one,your way fulfilled the need and began the slow but enjoyable route to better things.

Brian is right of course,read the rules and try to put your entry in the appropriate section,also perhaps limit your photographs to just one of each section and check out that something can be seen on the pic as posting blurred images are a total waste of time and space.

The NMB is so fortunate to have a circle of members with a depth of experience & study to be admired, they give there time and advice freely to all, below them are "US" a group with a broad band of experience in all field of Nihonto. If I find something annoying I just move on from it, to trounce a Newbe is counter productive to our Hobby as these guys will be at some point be the Chris Bowens or Ford Hallems of the future. 8) {Not meant as a compliment :glee: }

PS

What happened to the Naginata Ford??.

Thanks to all those who answered my post. The information was most helpful. I did not purchase the sword as I had a suspicion it was arsenal produced (now confirmed to be Seki). The store is asking $2600 so it will be a pass for me and I will keep looking and learning.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..